Calculating Rate of Change for Cones: Homework Help

In summary: A hollow cone with a semi-vertical angle of 60 degrees is held vertex down with its axis vertical.Water drips into the cone at 4 cm3/minFind the rate at which the depth of water is increasing when the water is 4 cm deepdv/dt = 4 cm3 min-1tan(60) = r/hr = √3* hV = (1/3) π r2hdv/dh = (1/3) π r2dh/dt = (dh/dv) * (dv/dt)= 1/(1/3) π r
Physics news on Phys.org
jsmith613 said:

Homework Statement

I have attached a link along with my working
please can someone help me

http://s359.photobucket.com/albums/oo40/jsmith613/?action=view&current=Math.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please post the problem and your work here. IMO, it's a pain in the butt to have to open a web page to see the problem and the work, plus I can't insert a comment at the appropriate place where there's an error.

Mark44 said:
Please post the problem and your work here. IMO, it's a pain in the butt to have to open a web page to see the problem and the work, plus I can't insert a comment at the appropriate place where there's an error.
dv/dt = 4 cm3 min-1

tan(60) = r/hr = √3* hV = (1/3) π r2h
dv/dh = (1/3) π r2

dh/dt = (dh/dv) * (dv/dt)= 1/(1/3) π r2 * 4

= 12/(pi r2)

for h = 4

dh/dt = 0.079577

The answer given is 0.0265 cm/min. why?

I don't know how do use latex - see post for a clearer solution if you get lost!

question was:A hollow cone with a semi-vertical angle of 60 degrees is held vertex down with its axis vertical.
Water drips into the cone at 4 cm3/min
Find the rate at which the depth of water is increasing when the water is 4 cm deep

jsmith613 said:
dv/dt = 4 cm3 min-1

tan(60) = r/h

r = √3* h

V = (1/3) π r2h

dv/dh = (1/3) π r2
You're ignoring the relationship between r and h.

Substitute for r in your volume equation. Then you'll have V purely as a function of h.
What you have is not correct, because V is a function of r and h.
jsmith613 said:
dh/dt = (dh/dv) * (dv/dt)

= 1/(1/3) π r2 * 4

= 12/(pi r2)

for h = 4

dh/dt = 0.079577

The answer given is 0.0265 cm/min. why?

I don't know how do use latex - see post for a clearer solution if you get lost!

What is the formula for calculating the rate of change for cones?

The formula for calculating the rate of change for cones is (change in height)/(change in radius).

How do I find the change in height and change in radius for a cone?

To find the change in height, subtract the initial height from the final height. To find the change in radius, subtract the initial radius from the final radius.

Can I use any units for the height and radius when calculating the rate of change for cones?

Yes, you can use any units for the height and radius as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use meters for height, you should also use meters for radius.

What is the unit for the rate of change for cones?

The unit for the rate of change for cones is (unit of height)/(unit of radius), such as meters/centimeters or inches/feet.

Can I use the rate of change for cones to find the volume or surface area?

No, the rate of change for cones only calculates the change in height over the change in radius. To find the volume or surface area, you will need to use the formulas specific to those measurements.