Happy (?) 30th birthday to the compact disc

In summary: CDs are obsolete as well as you can't even play them in CD players. I am moving to BDs, and as main back-up use a 500gb portable, and am getting a 3TB for $129.In summary,The first commercial CD release was 30 years ago yesterday, in Japan. Billy Joel's "52nd Street."
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The first commercial CD release was 30 years ago yesterday, in Japan: Billy Joel's "52nd Street."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/28/tech/innovation/compact-disc-turns-30/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

I waited two and a half years before buying my first CD player, for prices to come down a bit and a decent amount of my favorite listening material (classical music) to come out on CD. In spring 1985 I bought a Technics CD player for about $300. I think it was the first one to hit that price level. I was living in upstate New York at the time, and made a special trip to New York City to buy that player at J&R Music World, across the street from City Hall.

I think my first two CDs were Glenn Gould's then-new recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations on Sony (or was it still CBS then?), and a Sibelius symphony conducted by Neeme Järvi on the Swedish label BIS.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Happy Birthday lil buddy! The CD is iconic technology for my generation. I will be sad in 10-15 years when it's obsolete.

I have struggled through so many format changes. LPs, the 8-tracks (yes, I did buy some, because 8-track players were available for cars), then cassettes, then CDs... It has been a long road, and I have paid the record companies for multiple formats more times than I care to remember.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I will be sad in 10-15 [STRIKE]years [/STRIKE] weeks when it's obsolete.

Fixed :)

Pengwuino said:
Fixed :)

LOL, that's about the size of it. You never know though, they might hang in there forever surviving on the margins like the floppy drive.

wuliheron said:
LOL, that's about the size of it. You never know though, they might hang in there forever surviving on the margins like the floppy drive.

They still sell them in stores, so it's not obsolete :D

turbo said:
I have struggled through so many format changes. LPs, the 8-tracks (yes, I did buy some, because 8-track players were available for cars), then cassettes, then CDs... It has been a long road, and I have paid the record companies for multiple formats more times than I care to remember.

Turbo, what media format did you use back in the Neolithic era?

I've listened only a few CDs "directly" during the last two years, because I now do all my normal listening using lossless files streamed from my Mac to an Apple TV which is hooked up to the audio/video system in the living room. But I still buy CDs when I can't download the albums in lossless format. Just a couple of days ago I sent off an order for some CDs, in fact.

Whenever I want to listen to something from my CD collection, I rip it and load it into iTunes first, and store the ripped CDs in shoeboxes in the closet (for now). Eventually I'll be able to reduce the CD racks that are scattered around the house.

I suspect vinyl LPs will last longer than CDs because some people like their sound better, whereas lossless files should sound just like the corresponding CDs if the digital data is converted to analog and played back on the same hardware, e.g. by feeding it into the digital inputs of an A/V receiver.

Drakkith said:
Turbo, what media format did you use back in the Neolithic era?
stone tablets

turbo said:
stone tablets

Excellent. Rock on.

turbo said:
stone tablets

Something like this, maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
Something like this, maybe?

:tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
700mb for data storage isn't enough in the age of 500gb hdds. Back when my HDD was 850mb, a CD-R did just fine. I got a 50pack spindle for $4.99 3 years ago, and burned only 10 thus far.
DVDs are obsolete as well as you can't even play them in CD players. I am moving to BDs, and as main back-up use a 500gb portable, and am getting a 3TB for $129.
In fact, a 25 spindle of BDs is $28.75; but are 5.3 higher capacity than DVDs.

As for music, yes, it's all going digital. in 5 years no cars will be sold with CD players.

I remember there was a brief period of time before the iPod came out when 200+ CD changers were very popular (but expensive). My friend had one. I was jealous. Then like a week later I discovered Napster (back before anybody really cared about Napster).

In those days I had a 4GB harddrive. Today I could fit that entire hard drive into RAM, twice.

Things go obsolete really fast these days. I think the very notion of portable storage media is on its way out, given the pervasiveness of fast internet.

Gomar said:
As for music, yes, it's all going digital. in 5 years no cars will be sold with CD players.

Not to sure about that; a 2010 Lexus was last to equip a Cassette Deck.

What is a compact disc?

A compact disc, also known as a CD, is a type of optical disc used for storing and playing digital audio, video, and other types of data. It was first introduced in 1982 and quickly became the primary medium for music and software distribution.

Why is the 30th birthday of the compact disc significant?

The 30th birthday of the compact disc marks 30 years since its introduction, which is a significant milestone in technology and media history. It also serves as a reminder of how far technology has advanced and how the CD has evolved over the years.

How has the compact disc impacted society?

The compact disc has had a significant impact on society, especially in the fields of music and technology. It revolutionized the way we listen to music, making it more convenient and accessible. It also paved the way for the development of other digital storage and playback devices.

Is the compact disc still relevant in today's digital age?

While streaming and digital downloads have become more popular, the compact disc is still relevant today. It continues to be used for music, software, and data storage, and many people still prefer the physical format for its sound quality and collectibility.

What does the future hold for the compact disc?

The future of the compact disc is uncertain. With the rise of streaming services and digital downloads, the demand for physical media has decreased. However, it is still used and valued by many, and it is possible that it will continue to coexist with newer technologies in the future.