• Thread starter tiny-tim
  • Start date
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
my email notifications suddenly have less information

until yesterday, the typical notification was:
Dear tiny-tim,

**** has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - ***** - in the **** forum of Physics Forums.

This thread is located at:
https://www.physicsforums.com

Here is the message that has just been posted:

***************There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Physics Forums​

but now it only says:
Dear tiny-tim,

**** has just replied to a PhysicsForums thread you have subscribed to entitled - ****

Click this link to view the reply:
https://www.physicsforums.comThere may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
PhysicsForums.com​

no forum name, and no content :frown:

i much prefer being able to read the new post in the email, before deciding whether to open the thread itself

it can save a lot of time, particularly if it tells me whether someone else is helping, or the OP is actually answering (or saying something like "i'll think about it overnight", or "thankyou", that doesn't need a reply!)

can we please have the "long form" emails back? o:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tiny-tim said:
i much prefer being able to read the new post in the email, before deciding whether to open the thread itself

That's one reason I changed it. Makes people visit the site :)

I understand your complaint and will consider changing it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
That's one reason I changed it. Makes people visit the site :)

I understand your complaint and will consider changing it.

I REALLY hate the new style and would very much appreciate it if you would change it back. I spend a lot of time on the site but find it very annoying to come here just to find absolutely nothing of interest in a reply.

phinds said:
I REALLY hate the new style and would very much appreciate it if you would change it back. I spend a lot of time on the site but find it very annoying to come here just to find absolutely nothing of interest in a reply.

oooooookay I'll change it later this afternoon :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
oooooookay I'll change it later this afternoon :)

What a guy !

Thanks

I wonder... is it technically feasible to quote just the first few lines of the post? That might give enough information to allow the reader to decide whether to come back here and read the whole thing.

jtbell said:
I wonder... is it technically feasible to quote just the first few lines of the post? That might give enough information to allow the reader to decide whether to come back here and read the whole thing.

The problem with that is that it is frequently the case that the response starts off with a quote of the previous post ... that is NOT enought to be useful.

jtbell said:
Everything is possible, but the default system just allows to add the full message or no message, if I remember correctly.

GUYS ... STOP ! Take yes for an answer :smile: You're selling past the close.

To me it really doesn't matter, as I usually see the post before seeing the email notification. But I think that having the message indirectly adds quality which also increases traffic. My 2¢.

yay! the full text is back!

thanks, greg! :approve:

Dear Quarkcharmer,

micromass has just replied to a PhysicsForums thread you have subscribed to entitled - "Please help me with this tensor problem"

Click this link to view the reply:
https://www.physicsforums.com

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
PhysicsForums.com

Finally a solution! (clicks link)

micromass said:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_yvodWZP4qEYRLTZTKd7s0vuNtBGaLNvKmMK0G2Eqlk5YVMXrPA.jpg

1. What are "New shortened email notifications"?

"New shortened email notifications" are a new feature designed to condense the length of email notifications that users receive. This feature aims to make email notifications more concise and easier to read.

2. How do "New shortened email notifications" work?

When a user receives an email notification with the "New shortened email notifications" feature enabled, the email will be condensed to include only the most important information. This includes the sender's name, subject line, and a brief preview of the message.

3. Can I customize the length of "New shortened email notifications"?

Yes, users have the option to choose the length of their shortened email notifications. This can be done through the settings menu, where users can select how much information they want to see in their email notifications.

4. Will "New shortened email notifications" affect the content of my emails?

No, the content of your emails will not be affected by the "New shortened email notifications" feature. This feature only shortens the length of the notification, not the actual email itself.

5. Can I disable "New shortened email notifications"?

Yes, users have the option to disable the "New shortened email notifications" feature if they prefer to receive the full length of their email notifications. This can be done through the settings menu.