Was the Bright Ball with Blue Light I Saw Through My Binoculars Saturn?

• Thread starter chemistry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    App Saturn
In summary, the conversation was about the user's experience using binoculars to locate Saturn and seeing a bright, burning ball with a blue color around it. The experts explain that if the binoculars were properly focused, it is likely that the user saw Saturn as a planet, not a star. They also suggest using a program like Stellarium to confirm the sighting and explain that the blue light around it could be a result of chromatic aberration.
chemistry1
Hey, was just wondering, yesterday I was looking through my 10x50 binocular and used an app to locate Saturn. What I was seeing in the binocular was a burning ball (It was really bright compared to the stars.) and there was a sort of blue color around the bright ball. Would you think that was the real thing ? Or I mistook it with a star ? Just curious about knowing

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If your binoculars were properly focused, that is, all the stars looked like points, then if what you saw looked like a disc, then it's a pretty sure bet that you've found yourself a planet.

Bandersnatch said:
If your binoculars were properly focused, that is, all the stars looked like points, then if what you saw looked like a disc, then it's a pretty sure bet that you've found yourself a planet.
Well, it looked like a distorted disk, but still, I live in the city(pollution) and the stars all looked the same, but this bright-fire light was different than the others. Oh well, I'm happy to have seen my first planet ! Thanks

It could be a nearby galaxy or a hot gas cloud.

mathman said:
It could be a nearby galaxy or a hot gas cloud.
As a very bright object? In binoculars? I wouldn't bet my money on that.

It was more than likely Saturn. If it were a star, then it wouldn't really have bloated like a disc like it did for you. Just two nights ago I was observing Saturn with my telescope, but I use a 9x50 finder scope to help locate objects; I find it fairly obvious to know when I'm viewing Saturn through that, and can even see a few of its moons (although they look a bit like stars).

Try getting a program like Stellarium (I hate it, but it does its job and is free), and figure out where Saturn will be the next time you have a clear night. Then use those same binoculars and point it into the sky where Saturn should be, and compare that with what you saw yesterday.

EDIT:

I just read that you did use an app (presumably on your phone), but I wouldn't rely too heavily on those. It's best to get a reliable program like Stellarium to ensure it was Saturn that you saw.

Saturn is near the blue star Spica right now, so be sure you weren't looking at that.

And would you say that the blue light around it would be its ring? Just curious about that blue light... Thanks. And I'll download that programm antifreeze

chemistry1 said:
And would you say that the blue light around it would be its ring? Just curious about that blue light... Thanks. And I'll download that programm antifreeze

It's possible your binoculars simply have chromatic aberration and the blue light isn't focused, resulting in an outline of blue.

1. How accurate is the app in locating Saturn?

The accuracy of the app in locating Saturn depends on several factors such as the quality of the app, the accuracy of the data used in the app, and the user's location and device. Generally, most modern apps have a high level of accuracy in locating celestial objects like Saturn.

2. Can the app be used to locate other planets besides Saturn?

It depends on the specific app you are using. Some apps are designed specifically for locating Saturn, while others may have a feature that allows users to locate multiple planets. It is important to check the app's features before using it to locate other planets.

3. Does the app require an internet connection to locate Saturn?

Yes, most apps that are used to locate celestial objects like Saturn require an internet connection. This is because the app needs to access real-time data and information in order to accurately locate Saturn in the night sky.

4. What is the best time of day to use the app to locate Saturn?

The best time to use the app to locate Saturn would be during the night when the sky is dark and the planet is visible. However, the app can also be used during the day to locate Saturn if the user is in a location with clear skies and can see the planet.

5. Can the app be used to locate Saturn with a telescope?

Yes, the app can be used to locate Saturn with a telescope. Some apps even have a feature that allows users to align their telescope with the planet's position in the sky for a better viewing experience. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the quality of the telescope and the user's location.