Derivation of 1st london equation.

• Thread starter Inertia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary, the London equation is a derivation of Newtons second law that includes a factor of 1/4. This equation can be used to calculate steady-state drift velocities and Ohm's law if there is no scattering term.
Inertia
This is my first time posting here, I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask such a question. In my book I have the following London equation written (1st) for a superconductor:

E0λ2LJ/∂t

where: λ2L is the london penetration depth.

My understanding is that it can be derived from Newtons 2nd law, by simply assuming the electron is accelerated indefinitely, and writing in terms of current densities. My issue with this is that there is an ernous factor of 1/4 that turns up in the final answer which is sometimes included in λ2L that I cannot resolve. The wikipedia article here: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_penetration_depth) does not include the factor of 1/4 in λ2L.

I can't find anywhere to help with this inconsistency, I can only think that the mass is half of that in the drude model (after the scattering term is removed) or the charge is a factor of √2 greater.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Working the full derivation from Newton's second law we can say,

[tex]m\frac{dv}{dt} = eE - \frac{mv}{τ}[/tex]

The steady-state drift velocity implies we can write the Ohm's Law,

[tex]J=nev=\frac{ne^2τ}{m}E=σE[/tex]

If there is no scattering term, Ohm's law is replaced by an accelerative supercurrent.

[tex]\frac{dJ_s}{dt}=\frac{n_se^2}{m}E=\frac{E}{\Lambda}=\frac{c^2}{4\piλ_l^2}E[/tex]

This is the first London equation and you can see that factor of 1/4 that you are talking about. We can apply Maxwell's equations then,

[tex]∇ X h = \frac{J4\pi}{c}\\
∇ X E = -\frac{1}{c}\frac{∂h}{∂t}[/tex]

From this we obtain,

[tex]-∇ X ∇ X E = ∇^2E = \frac{E}{\lambda_l^2}[/tex]

What is the 1st London equation?

The 1st London equation is a mathematical formula that describes the electromagnetic properties of superconductors. It relates the current density in a superconductor to the applied magnetic field and the material's intrinsic properties.

Who developed the 1st London equation?

The 1st London equation was developed by brothers Fritz and Heinz London, who were German physicists, in 1935.

What does the 1st London equation predict?

The 1st London equation predicts that in the presence of an external magnetic field, a superconductor will expel the magnetic field from its interior, a phenomenon known as the Meissner effect.

What assumptions are made in the derivation of the 1st London equation?

The derivation of the 1st London equation is based on the assumptions that the superconductor is in a perfect state, meaning there is no impurities or defects, and that the superconductor is in a state of equilibrium, with no applied current.

How is the 1st London equation used in practical applications?

The 1st London equation is used in practical applications to understand and predict the behavior of superconductors in various scenarios, such as in the design of superconducting magnets for medical imaging and particle accelerators.