When a magnetic field changes and an emf is produced,

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of induced emf in a copper tube when a magnet is dropped inside. The person is confused about where the energy for the induced emf comes from and the role of Lenz's Law. It is clarified that the person uses energy to lift the magnet and release it, causing it to fall due to gravity. The slow speed of the magnet drop suggests that a significant amount of the kinetic energy is converted into induced emf and its magnetic field. The person also asks about the effect of spinning the magnet, which is mainly for stabilization purposes.
jaredvert
Then what gives the energy to create this emf?

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes the magnetic field change from top to bottom of the tube if we drop a magnet in a copper tube?

Last edited by a moderator:
nsaspook said:
What makes the magnetic field change from top to bottom of the tube if we drop a magnet in a copper tube?
It is the induced emf in the copper tube correct? It would make a counterclockwise current. But what I don't understand is where is the energy for this induced emf coming from?

Last edited by a moderator:
jaredvert said:
Yeah I mean I think I get lenz law but can u explain what I'm missing here? The magnet falling induced a counterclowise current in the copper. Where the energy for this emf is what I don't understand

What makes the magnet move?

nsaspook said:
What makes the magnet move?
Well gravity but I imagine it's acceleration is slower due to the magnetic force exerted on it

nsaspook said:
Yes, the person uses energy to pick up the magnet to some height from it's rest position and then release it to fall in the tube due to gravity.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/energy/Lesson-1/Potential-Energy
Oh so I see because it has less velocity it's KE is less and so the energy induced to the emf is equal to mgh - 1/2mvf^2. Where vf is velocity in coil. Correct?

Judging by the slow speed of the magnet drop in the tube a good percentage of the KE is in the induced emf and it's magnetic field.

nsaspook said:
Judging by the slow speed of the magnet drop in the tube a good percentage of the KE is in the induced emf and it's magnetic field.
How come when he spins it the magnet accelerates faster down? Is it because the area of the plates perpendicular to the sides are smaller and so smaller current induced?

jaredvert said:
How come when he spins it the magnet accelerates faster down? Is it because the area of the plates perpendicular to the sides are smaller and so smaller current induced?

At what point in the video do you mean? His spin is mainly to stabilize the magnet during it's drop.

1. How is an emf produced when a magnetic field changes?

According to Faraday's Law of Induction, when a magnetic field changes or moves, it creates a moving electric field which in turn produces an electromotive force (emf).

2. What factors affect the strength of the emf produced?

The strength of the emf produced depends on the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the wire, and the strength of the magnetic field.

3. Can an emf be produced without a changing magnetic field?

No, an emf can only be produced when there is a change in the magnetic field. A constant magnetic field will not produce an emf.

4. How is the direction of the induced emf determined?

The direction of the induced emf is determined by Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of emf production from changing magnetic fields?

Emf production from changing magnetic fields is used in various technologies such as generators, motors, transformers, and magnetic sensors. It is also the principle behind the function of devices like speakers and microphones.