Understanding Renormalization in Quantum Field Theory

In summary, when doing renormalization, the electric charge goes like e_r=e(1-Log[M^2])^{\frac{1}{2}}. However, the limit as M->infty isn't zero, and the electric charge does not go to infinity.
Sombrero
When was reading about renormalization I did no understand the main Idea of the last :(:confused:
It has been considered photon propagator with virtual pair of electron/pozitron. Takeing that loop integral the M^2 cuttoff is introduced, which tends then to ininifity, M^2 is "sopped up" in renormalized coupling constant, but even then when M^2 tends to infinity the coupling constant runs to infinity? Yes? Am I clear?

Pls help

Physics news on Phys.org
One help needed please

Gents,
I am not familiar with physics and that's why my questions may seem stupid for you, but could you pls help me and explain the Idea of formula 7.27 in attached file from Halzen F., Martin A.D. Quarks and leptons.
Does not the e_R tends to infinity when M^2 goes to infinity?
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• DjVu Document.pdf
    183.3 KB · Views: 245
Norman said:
No,
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} Log[x^2]=0 [/tex]
So,
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} 1-Log[x^2]=1 [/tex]
So it does not go to infinity as M goes to infinity.

? :confused:

vanesch said:
? :confused:

My feelings exactly!

Regards,
George

Sorry, in my sickly, feverish state I didn't elaborate. He is asking about how Halzen and Martin go about doing renormalization of the electric charge. They introduce the cut-off, M, and show that the renormalized charge goes like:
[tex] e_r \approx e(1-Log[M^2])^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]
With a bunch of stuff I cannot remember off hand. So my understanding of the question was basically a simple math question. What does the limit as M-> infty do to e_r.
Did I misinterperet or just not state enough in my original post? Maybe my math is completely wrong, that tends to happen with a fever...

Last edited:
The limit of log(x²) as x->infin isn't zero.

isn't it [tex]2 \log x[/tex] and [tex]\log x[/tex] approaches to infinity at [tex]x->\infty[/tex]?

OMG...:rofl: :rofl:
Well, the good news is I am feeling better and now see where I went wrong... :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: I even checked it with mathematica, funny thing is if you switch the variable and the base in mathematica, you get a very different answer...

time to get some rest... I suppose this means all the work I did today needs to be rechecked. :biggrin:

Edit: I deleted the post- my shame is too deep...

Last edited:

1. What is renormalization?

Renormalization is a technique used in quantum field theory to remove infinities that arise in calculations of physical observables. It involves adjusting parameters in the theory to account for the effects of virtual particles and interactions at different energy scales.

2. Why is renormalization important?

Renormalization is important because it allows us to make meaningful predictions in quantum field theory. Without renormalization, calculations would be plagued by infinities and would not accurately reflect the behavior of physical systems.

3. How does renormalization work?

Renormalization involves making changes to the parameters in a quantum field theory in order to cancel out infinities that arise in calculations. This is typically done by imposing conditions on the theory at specific energy scales.

4. What are the different types of renormalization?

The two main types of renormalization are perturbative renormalization, which involves making small adjustments to the theory at each order of calculation, and non-perturbative renormalization, which involves making global changes to the theory as a whole.

5. What are some applications of renormalization?

Renormalization has been successfully applied in various fields, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and statistical mechanics. It has been used to make predictions about the behavior of subatomic particles, phase transitions in materials, and critical phenomena.