Rolling Friction and Bicycle Tires

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two bicycle tires rolling at the same initial speed but with different air pressures. The distance each tire travels before its speed is reduced by half is given, and the coefficient of rolling friction for the tire under low pressure is being calculated. The correct equation to use is v2 = u2+2as, and the normal reaction force, represented by "R", is needed to solve for the coefficient of friction. The conversation also touches on the use of the kinematic equation v = u + at and identifying the value of time in this problem.
pureouchies4717
my teacher Never went over this in class. ever. please help, thanks

Two bicycle tires are set rolling with the same initial speed of 3.70 m/s along a long, straight road, and the distance each travels before its speed is reduced by half is measured. One tire is inflated to a pressure of 40 psi and goes a distance of 18.4 m; the other is at 105 psi and goes a distance of 94.0 m. Assume that the net horizontal force is due to rolling friction only and take the free-fall acceleration to be g = 9.80 m/s^2. What is the coefficient of rolling friction ur for the tire under low pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
i tried to use this formula:

ur= v/[(d/v) x g]

and got

ur=.075, but it said i was wrong

You are off by a constant. Be sure you are using the right equation of motion. Also, note that the distance given is not the stopping distance, but rather the distance that the object travels before its speed is reduced by half.

^ what exactly does it mean to be off by a constant?

Last edited:
anyone?

:frown:

Use the kinematic formula [itex]v = u + at [/itex] to obtain an acceleration. Then equate this with the force in [itex] F_r = \mu R [/itex]

Hootenanny said:
Use the kinematic formula [itex]v = u + at [/itex] to obtain an acceleration. Then equate this with the force in [itex] F_r = \mu R [/itex]

hmm but the problem is that i don't have [itex]u[/itex]; that is actually what I am looking for

Yes you do, [itex]u[/itex] refers to the intial velocity. [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coeffiecent of friction. Sorry for the different symbols, its just the notation I'm used to.

Hootenanny said:
Yes you do, [itex]u[/itex] refers to the intial velocity. [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coeffiecent of friction. Sorry for the different symbols, its just the notation I'm used to.

o i see, but i still don't have time. and i don't really get what that "R" refers to. if its radius, i didnt get it in this problem

R is the normal reaction force, which is the product of the mass and the gravitational field strength.

i still don't understand since I am not given mass

Masses will cancel, this is the same process you used for the boy/swing/inclined plane question.
[tex] ma = \mu mg [/tex]

so which equations did you use?

How do you know what time is? when using v = v + at..

cpark43 said:
How do you know what time is? when using v = v + at..
Looking back on this thread from two years ago, it would have been more appropriate to use the equation v2 = u2+2as. I don't know why I suggested the original one.

1. What is rolling friction?

Rolling friction is the resistance that occurs when an object, such as a bicycle tire, rolls over a surface. It is caused by the deformation of the tire and the surface it is rolling on, as well as the energy lost through the friction between the two materials.

2. How is rolling friction different from sliding friction?

Rolling friction is different from sliding friction because it occurs when two surfaces are in contact and one is rolling over the other, while sliding friction occurs when two surfaces are in contact and one slides over the other. Rolling friction is typically lower than sliding friction, as less energy is lost through the rolling motion.

3. How does the tread pattern of a bicycle tire affect rolling friction?

The tread pattern of a bicycle tire can significantly affect rolling friction. A smoother tread pattern, with less grooves and ridges, will result in lower rolling friction as there is less surface area in contact with the ground. However, a more aggressive tread pattern may provide better grip and control, but can also increase rolling friction.

4. Can tire pressure affect rolling friction?

Yes, tire pressure can have a significant impact on rolling friction. A higher tire pressure will result in a smaller contact area between the tire and the ground, reducing rolling friction. On the other hand, a lower tire pressure will increase the contact area and therefore increase rolling friction. It is important to find the right balance between tire pressure and grip for optimal rolling performance.

5. How do different tire materials affect rolling friction?

The material of the tire can also impact rolling friction. Harder tires, such as those made of rubber, tend to have lower rolling friction compared to softer tires, such as those made of plastic. However, softer tires may provide better grip and control on certain surfaces, so it is important to consider the terrain and riding conditions when selecting a tire material.