Cipher in the Snow: A Story of Loneliness and Loss

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, this movie is about a boy who died because he wasn't loved and it has links to the idea of having a "will to live".
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Have you ever seen the movie? It was required for us to watch this as kids. The thesis: This boy died because he wasn't loved.

Is this possible?

If you aren't familiar with this film (which is based on a true story), it is basically about a young boy (the "cipher" of the title) who simply falls dead in the snow one morning after a bus ride. The teacher who investigates what happened finds that the boy had no real friends, and essentially died of loneliness. The teacher learns that he was the boy's favorite teacher, yet he can hardly even remember who the boy was. [continued]
http://www.ldsvideo.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=86

Also:
http://www.teenlit.com/teachers/cipherin.htm

Funny! I just noticed that this was put out by LDS video - the mormons. It was required viewing in our Catholic school. Imagine that! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I have not seen the movie, but I read some of the info in the links and I get the jist. It's hard for me to believe that "lack of love" would be the direct causal event that killed the boy (if the story is indeed true). I can however produce evidence that lack of interaction and maternal care can elicit some rather serious responses in developing animals that could potentially lead to morbidity, illness or worse. A search of the literature on maternal and/or social deprivation, isolation rearing, etc, especially in infants or young animals (we're talking monkeys for the most part, but some studies were done on human orphans) reveals decrements in immune, neuronal and hormonal systems that could potentially result in permanent behavioral alterations or weaken the organism enough to allow easily combated or avoided pathogens to cause damage. Here are a few:

Laudenslager, ML, Reits M., Harbeck, R. (1982). Suppressed immune response in infant monkeys associated with maternal separation. Behav Neural Biol 36:40-48.

G.R. Lubach et al., "Effects of early rearing environment on immune responses of infant rhesus monkeys," Brain Behav Immun 9, no. 1 (Mar 1995): 31–46.

Cortisol (stress hormone) elevations
M.L. Laudenslager et al., "Total cortisol, free cortisol, and growth hormone associated with brief social separation experiences in young macaques," Dev Psychobiol 28, no. 4 (May 1995): 199–211.

L.J. Luecken, "Childhood attachment and loss experiences affect adult cardiovascular and cortisol function," Psychosom Med 60, no. 6 (Nov–Dec 1998): 765–72.

M. Carlson and F. Earls, "Psychological and neuroendocrinological sequelae of early social deprivation in institutionalized children in Romania," Ann N Y Acad Sci 807 (Jan 15, 1997): 419–28.

Granted I haven't fully reviewed each of these but they are suggestive as to the immediate and potentially longterm impact which isolation can have on the developing child. Whether you want to associate terms like maternal care and social interaction with "love" is up to you.

It also calls into play the notion of having a "will to live". Is there a biological interpretation of this idea?

I think we all have fear of death, even those who are convinced they don't. I know I'm never giving up.

1. What is "Cipher in the Snow" about?

"Cipher in the Snow" is a short story written by Jean Mizer that tells the story of a high school student named Cliff Evans who suddenly dies of unknown causes. The story follows the aftermath of his death and how it affects those around him.

2. What is the main theme of "Cipher in the Snow"?

The main theme of "Cipher in the Snow" is loneliness and loss. The story explores the impact of Cliff's sudden death on his classmates, teachers, and family, and how they each struggle with feelings of isolation and grief.

3. Is "Cipher in the Snow" based on a true story?

There is no evidence to suggest that "Cipher in the Snow" is based on a true story. However, the themes of loneliness and loss are universal and relatable to many people, which may make the story feel more real and personal to readers.

4. What is the significance of the title "Cipher in the Snow"?

The title "Cipher in the Snow" refers to Cliff's sudden and unexpected death, which leaves many people feeling confused and searching for answers. The word "cipher" can also mean a code or puzzle, suggesting that Cliff's death is a mystery that needs to be solved.

5. Why is "Cipher in the Snow" considered a classic in American literature?

"Cipher in the Snow" is considered a classic in American literature because of its poignant and thought-provoking portrayal of loneliness and loss. The story has resonated with readers for decades and continues to be taught in schools and studied for its themes and writing style.