Will Swinging Frequency of a Bucket Decrease?

In summary, the frequency of the swinging bucket will decrease as the water leaks from the bottom of the bucket.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Lets say that there's a bucket swinging on a string (the top of the bucket is connected to the string) and there's a small hole in the bottom of the bucket, will the frequency get bigger or smaller? i think that it will get smaller because as the bucket leaks the water gets closer to the bottom of the bucket so the center of the the swinging mass gets further away from the spinning axis - in effect it's as if the string got longer. am i correct?
Thanks.
-this isn't a homework problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good to me.

Be careful, you cannot forget about conservation of angular momentum.
The bucket will swing with an angular momentum of:

L = I*w = m*r^2*w

where r is the distance to CM
As your mass decreases it is true that r will increase.
However, keep in mind that this is counterbalanced to some extent by the fact that m decreases.
Whether or not w increases or decreases depends on which factor (r^2 or m) is changing faster.
A tall skinny bucket would probably result in a smaller frequency w but a wide fat bucket would have the opposite effect.

LHarriger said:
Be careful, you cannot forget about conservation of angular momentum.
Are you completely certain about that? :wink:

cesiumfrog said:
Are you completely certain about that? :wink:

I think I see your point cesium:
As water is flung out of the bucket kinetic energy goes with it.
Consequently you experience a loss of angular momentum equal to:
[itex]\frac{dL}{dt}=\rho(t)\ r^2\omega[/itex]
where rho is your water mass flow rate out of the bucket.
Hence Angular momentum is not conserved.
oops:blushing:
All the same I think it still may be possible to to have your frequency increase if the speed and quantity of water doesn't leave too fast. However, I cannot intuitively visualize an answer and I am still digging through setting up an equation to check.

Last edited:
LHarriger said:
All the same I think it still may be possible to to have your frequency increase if the speed and quantity of water doesn't leave too fast. However, I cannot intuitively visualize an answer and I am still digging through setting up an equation to check.

Not visualising a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum" ?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the swinging frequency of a bucket?

The swinging frequency of a bucket refers to the number of swings the bucket makes in one minute. It is usually measured in swings per minute (SPM) or cycles per minute (CPM).

2. How does the swinging frequency of a bucket affect its stability?

The swinging frequency of a bucket is directly related to its stability. As the frequency increases, the bucket becomes less stable and is more likely to tip over. This is because a higher frequency means shorter swing periods, resulting in less time for the bucket to stabilize between swings.

3. Will the swinging frequency of a bucket decrease over time?

Yes, the swinging frequency of a bucket will decrease over time due to factors such as air resistance, friction, and loss of energy. These factors can cause the bucket to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

4. How does the weight of the bucket affect its swinging frequency?

The weight of the bucket has a direct impact on its swinging frequency. A heavier bucket will have a lower swinging frequency compared to a lighter bucket. This is because a heavier bucket requires more energy to swing, resulting in a slower frequency.

5. Can the swinging frequency of a bucket be increased or decreased intentionally?

Yes, the swinging frequency of a bucket can be intentionally increased or decreased by adjusting the length of the string or rope it is attached to. A longer string will result in a lower frequency, while a shorter string will result in a higher frequency.