Coursework Help: Magnesium Ribbon & Acids Reaction Order & Mechanism

• Thread starter faaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coursework
In summary, the conversation is about a chemistry student's coursework for their Edexcel Nuffield A-level. The aim is to determine the order and mechanism of the reaction between magnesium ribbon and acids, specifically strong and weak acids at room temperature. The student used ethanoic acid and hydrochloric acid, and their graphs showed a straight line, indicating zero order instead of the expected second order for HCl. They are seeking help to explain these results as they need to turn in their work tomorrow.
faaz
hey, m doing edexcel nuffield chemistry a-level
aim of my coursework is
Aim:
To find the order and mechanism of the reaction between magnesium ribbon and acids, and see how it depends on the strong and weak acids at room temperature.

i used ethanoic acid and hydrchloric acid, n from da graphs i obtained (concentration against time) its givin me straight line which is zero order.
where as its meant to be 2nd order, for HCL. So now i don't have any reason to xplain this.
Some one please give me an idea wot i could say, why i got these results? i hve to give in my wrk tomorow. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Please be more specific regarding what you have done... I don't understand what you are measuring in your graphs. Concentration against time? Concentration of what? Did you measure the rate of initial, steady state hydrogen evolution vs. acid concentration for identically shaped pieces of magnesium ribbon?

Based on your results, it appears that the reaction between magnesium ribbon and acids is zero order with respect to concentration. This means that the rate of the reaction does not depend on the concentration of the acid. This could be due to several factors, such as the reaction being limited by the surface area of the magnesium ribbon or the rate of diffusion of the acid to the surface of the ribbon.

However, it is important to note that this is only one set of results and may not be representative of the reaction as a whole. It is possible that using different concentrations of the acid or different acids altogether could result in a different reaction order. It is also important to consider any potential sources of error in your experiment that could have affected your results.

To further understand the mechanism of the reaction, it may be helpful to conduct additional experiments and analyze the data to see if there are any patterns or trends. This will also help to confirm your findings and provide a more comprehensive understanding of the reaction.

Overall, it is important to acknowledge any limitations in your results and to continue to explore and investigate the reaction in order to fully understand its order and mechanism. Good luck with your coursework!

1. What is the purpose of the coursework on Magnesium Ribbon & Acids Reaction Order & Mechanism?

The purpose of this coursework is to study the reaction between magnesium ribbon and different concentrations of acids in order to determine the reaction order and mechanism.

2. How is the reaction order determined in this coursework?

The reaction order is determined by varying the concentration of the acid while keeping the amount of magnesium ribbon constant and observing the change in the rate of reaction. The reaction order is then calculated using the rate equation.

3. What factors can affect the reaction order and mechanism?

The concentration of the acid, temperature, surface area of the magnesium ribbon, and presence of catalysts are some factors that can affect the reaction order and mechanism.

4. What is the significance of studying the reaction between magnesium ribbon and acids?

Magnesium is a highly reactive metal and its reaction with acids produces hydrogen gas, which has various industrial and commercial uses. Understanding the reaction order and mechanism can help in optimizing the production of hydrogen gas and its usage in different applications.

5. Can this coursework be applied to other similar reactions?

Yes, the principles and techniques used in this coursework can be applied to study the reaction order and mechanism of other similar reactions involving metals and acids, such as the reaction between calcium and hydrochloric acid.