What is the integral of root(1-cosx)?

• Thread starter luznyr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation was about integrating a function and finding the derivative. Various methods were suggested, including using Mathematica and manipulating trigonometric identities. The end result was a simplified answer of -2sin(x)/sqrt(1-cos(x)) with a constant of 0. The original purpose of the thread was also mentioned, which was for members to post difficult problems for others to solve.
luznyr

Attachments

• eqn.gif
    eqn.gif
    263 bytes · Views: 2,687
  • working.gif
    working.gif
    473 bytes · Views: 3,012
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks for the link, when i used mathematica 5.2 i got (1/2 - cosx/2)x. is that the same as -2sqrt(1-cosx).cot(x/2) (the answer from the integrator) ?

What i was really after was how you would integrate the original function algebraically.

Edit:

Sorry i put the eqn in mathematica wrong, it does give the same ans as the integrator as expected. my end result was -2sqrt(2).cos(x/2) = -2sqrt(1-cosx).cot(x/2)). thanks for all your help

Last edited:
luznyr said:
thanks for the link, when i used mathematica 5.2 i got (1/2 - cosx/2)x. is that the same as -2sqrt(1-cosx).cot(x/2) (the answer from the integrator) ?

What i was really after was how you would integrate the original function algebraically.

I would do it using Mathematica. Failing that, I would recognize that cos(2x)=1-2sin^2(x)

-> cos(x)=1-2sin^2(x/2)

-> 1-cos(x)=2sin^2(x/2)

-> sqrt(1-cos(x))=sqrt(2) sin(x/2)

etc. etc.

thanks that should help heaps

There are probably about 236 ways of expressing the final answer, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't look like any of the above.

You should try to see if they agree though for random values of x.

thanks that should help heaps

Even if it doesn't looking anything similar, find the derivative and if its the original integrand, you are done :) christianjb's way is also good, but the 2 expressions may differ by a constant so watch out for that.

Gib Z said:
Even if it doesn't looking anything similar, find the derivative and if its the original integrand, you are done :) christianjb's way is also good, but the 2 expressions may differ by a constant so watch out for that.

But my way is

1) Use Mathematica,
2) if that doesn't work- wait for Gib Z to solve it.

hahahahahaha

My answers don't often look like the result, but just to show how fluid an anwer can be here's

Mathcad.

[itex](2-2cos(x))^\frac{1}{2}.sin(x)\frac{2^\frac{1}{2}}{-1+cos(x)}+C[/itex]

and

http://www.calc101.com/webMathematica/integrals.jsp#topdoit

[itex]-2\sqrt{cos(x)+1}+C[/itex]

and Wolfram which agrees with this.

Both answers return -2.482 with x=1.

hehe.

Last edited:
I don't know why Mathcad does not simplify it's answers like calc101 does. Even without any trigonometric manipulations, Mathcad's answer can be simplified to [tex]\frac{ -2\sin x}{\sqrt{1-\cos x}}[/tex], and yes in this case both anti derivatives are identical in the sense that when equated, the Constants are equal to 0.

EDIT: Some members of the forum wish to revive one of my old threads, and I'm not complaining, so here it is in case your interested :) https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=149706&page=14

The original purpose was for people to post up integrals (usually indefinite) for me to solve. However the renewed purpose is for anyone to post up a particularly difficult problem for anyone to solve. The problems should be able to be worked out with no more than CalcII knowledge please. It would be wondering you you all would participate :)

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for the integral of root(1-cosx)?

The formula for the integral of root(1-cosx) is ∫√(1-cosx) dx = √(2sinx+C), where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do I solve the integral of root(1-cosx)?

To solve the integral of root(1-cosx), you can use the substitution method or integration by parts. You can also use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral before solving.

3. What is the domain of the integral of root(1-cosx)?

The domain of the integral of root(1-cosx) is all real numbers, as long as the value inside the square root remains positive. This means that x can take on any value except for those that make 1-cosx negative.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve the integral of root(1-cosx)?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the integral of root(1-cosx). Most scientific calculators have a built-in integration function that can solve basic integrals like this one. However, it is always recommended to check your answer by hand to ensure accuracy.

5. What is the meaning of the integral of root(1-cosx)?

The integral of root(1-cosx) represents the area under the curve of the function √(1-cosx). This area can be interpreted as the total change in the quantity represented by the function over the given interval of x values.