Crystal Vibrations: Impurity in a monoatomic chain

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a linear monoatomic chain with an impurity, where the equation of motion for the atoms is to be found. Multiple approaches are suggested, including treating it as a diatomic chain and using Fourier transform.
Perses

Homework Statement

Hello everyone, I'm a bit stuck on this particular problem and i was hoping somebody could give me a couple tips or hints!

"consider a linear monoatomic chain where all atoms have a mass M except one which has a small mass m. The force constant is C."
First I'm asked to write the equation of motion for the relevant atoms. Then, I'm asked to solve it assuming a displacement function for atom n in the form of

Un = Aexp(-ax)exp(i((omega)t - Kx))

Let the chain be:

vs-2 -- vs-1 --- u --- vs --- vs+1

where u is the impurity

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm currently lost at the beginning of the problem, finding the equation of motion. What i first thought was to treat this almost like it were the case of a diatomic chain.

Mdvs/dt = C(vs+1 + u - 2vs)

mdu/dt = C(vs-1 + vs - 2u)

however, upon continuing in the problem I'm not sure that this is correct. Could anyone offer any advice as to how i should start this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is a little distracting. Simply call the displacement of the n'th atom (from its equilibrium position) [itex]u_n[/itex]. Let the impurity be at n=k.

Secondly. you've made a mistake in constructing your equation of motion, which is a second order linear DE (not first order).

See that you should get something more like :

[tex]m_n \ddot{u_n} = c(u_{n+1} -2u_n+u_{n-1}) [/tex]

From here, I'm not sure what's the best approach. One possibility is to Fourier transform to k-space and hope the equations become decoupled. Odds are they will. Also, you will likely find that the solution in k-space is the FT of the localized wavepacket provided to you.

1. What are crystal vibrations?

Crystal vibrations refer to the movement or oscillation of atoms in a crystal lattice. These vibrations can occur in various forms, such as longitudinal or transverse waves, and can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities in the crystal.

2. What is an impurity in a monoatomic chain?

An impurity in a monoatomic chain refers to a foreign atom or molecule that is incorporated into a crystal lattice made up of a single type of atom. These impurities can disrupt the regularity and symmetry of the crystal, resulting in changes to its vibrational properties.

3. How do impurities affect crystal vibrations?

Impurities in a monoatomic chain can affect crystal vibrations in a few ways. They can change the frequency and amplitude of the vibrations, as well as introduce new modes of vibration. Additionally, impurities can also cause scattering of the vibrations, leading to changes in the crystal's overall behavior.

4. Can crystal vibrations be measured?

Yes, crystal vibrations can be measured using techniques such as Raman spectroscopy, infrared spectroscopy, and X-ray diffraction. These methods can provide information about the frequency, intensity, and mode of vibration of a crystal lattice, allowing scientists to study the effects of impurities on its vibrational properties.

5. What are the practical applications of studying crystal vibrations and impurities?

Studying crystal vibrations and impurities is important for understanding the behavior and properties of materials, which has many practical applications. For example, this knowledge can be used to develop new materials with specific properties, improve the performance of existing materials, and identify impurities that may affect the quality of a material. Additionally, understanding crystal vibrations can also provide insights into the atomic and molecular structures of materials.