Why Does Salt Water Taste Salty?

In summary: in summary, this is a question about taste and physiology that can be answered by consulting a chemistry textbook.
temaire

Homework Statement

If NaCl dissociates into Na+ and Cl- ions when dissolved in water, why does the solution still taste salty?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I think its because a chemical change hasn't happened. Am I right? Can someone go into a bit more detail please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible to taste anhydrous salts (with a moist tongue)?

So we can only taste salt when its dissolved in water?

You are asking a physiology question. Sodium chloride dissolves and is ionized in water. Taste depends on substances being dissolved when they contact our tongue and its tastebuds. I suspect that olfactory sense works similarly, but maybe our "buds" there need to be at least a little bit moist.

Well the people above me are most likely correct but I think the answer is even simpler. Our taste of the salt water depends just on the Na+ ion and Cl- ion being present. They do not have to be in solid form. Thats why we still taste the salt in the salt water.

Also when you put solid salt in your mouth. Your tongue is what?

ace123 said:
Well the people above me are most likely correct but I think the answer is even simpler. Our taste of the salt water depends just on the Na+ ion and Cl- ion being present. They do not have to be in solid form. Thats why we still taste the salt in the salt water.

Also when you put solid salt in your mouth. Your tongue is what?

We have four tastes and each is detected on a corresponding region of the tongue. Salty taste is detected on a specific region, different from each of the other three regions (being for sweet, bitter, and sour). This is why the original question may really be about physiology. How to account for any particular ions about taste on the tongue -- can't say; and I would not really want to suggest experimenting with this through this online forum (safety problem in case someone does something foolish or dangerous). Chemistry instruction typically and sensibly discourages the tasting of substances

LOL. I think you misunderstood me b/c I wasn't doubting your answer at all. In fact I completely agree that its a physiology question. And I know about the different regions...

I think it would be difficult to prove this because of the fact that it's a physiology question. It's like saying what came first the chicken or the egg? But what I was saying was my own thinking. Which may or may not be correct.

temaire said:
So we can only taste salt when its dissolved in water?

Yes. You don't taste the solid, just that fraction that has dissolved from it.

Thanks guys, you've really driven the point hard.

1. Why does salt water taste salty?

Salt water tastes salty because it contains high concentrations of salt, also known as sodium chloride. When we taste salt water, our taste buds detect the presence of sodium ions, which are responsible for the salty taste.

2. Is there a difference in taste between sea salt and table salt?

Yes, there is a difference in taste between sea salt and table salt. Sea salt is obtained by evaporating seawater, while table salt is mined from underground salt deposits. Sea salt typically has a coarser texture and may contain trace minerals, which can give it a slightly different taste compared to table salt.

3. Why does salt water sometimes taste more or less salty?

The taste of salt water can vary depending on the concentration of salt. If the water has a higher concentration of salt, it will taste saltier. This can be influenced by factors such as temperature, evaporation, and the amount of salt dissolved in the water. Additionally, our individual taste sensitivity can also affect how salty we perceive the water to be.

4. Can salt water ever taste sweet?

No, salt water cannot taste sweet. The presence of salt, specifically sodium ions, triggers our taste receptors for saltiness and does not allow for any other taste sensations, such as sweetness, to be detected. However, if the concentration of salt is low, the water may have a more neutral taste.

5. Is it safe to drink salt water?

No, it is not safe to drink salt water. Consuming large amounts of salt water can lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances in the body. The high concentration of salt can also damage the cells in our bodies. It is important to only drink water that has been properly treated and free of excessive salt levels.