Electron Configuration and energy levels

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possible quantum states of an electronically-excited neutral magnesium atom with the configuration 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3p 3d. The participants are trying to determine the possible values for n, l, m (or ml), and ms for the atom as a whole. They discuss the spin degeneracies and orbital angular momentum states for the p and d electrons and how they relate to the 2S+1{L}_J labeling system. They also reference different resources for further understanding.
Nusc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Homework Statement
The electrons of a nelectronically-excited neutral magnesium atom have the coniguration 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3p 3d. Provide spec notation for the possible quant states of the atom as a whole

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

We neglect 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 and only focus on 3p and 3d. I don't know what to do because we have two high energy levels to consider. If there was just one the then problem would be trivial.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay so n = 3 therefore l = n-1 = 2.

Thus, when l = 2 we have d.

So d is our designator of choice.

Was the above correct? Because if I apply the same reasoning to this following problem:

an excited e-state of aluminimum atom is labelled by the config: 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s 3p2. What are the possible e-states for a atom with this config?

Here we have a choice between 3s and 3p2. n = 3 in this case therefore l = n-1 = 2 which would correspond with a d.

What the heck am I doing?

i don't know if i understood your problem correctly;

Mg is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2

when it is excited, one electron from 3s will be promoted to an empty 3p orbital.

hence:

*Mg 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s1 3p1

This is a good discussion of electron configuration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_configuration

http://www.chemicalelements.com/show/electronconfig.html - chart

http://www.webelements.com/

Anyway, I was wondering if one has an example of what is meant by "Provide spec notation for the possible quant states of the atom as a whole"

Mg has the ground state electron configuration of 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2, and Al has the g.s. e-config of 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p1 as indicated by Kushal.

The problem statement for an excited Mg atom states 1s2 2s2 2p6 3p 3d, so it appears one 3s electron is excited to 3p and one to 3d.

Is the problem asking for the possible quantum states described by n, l, m (or ml), ms? Does one need to provide descriptions for the n=1 and n=2 electrons, or just the outermost (valence electrons)?

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hyde.html#c3

For n, what are the possible values for l, and then for l, what are the possible values for m. Then ms has two possibilities.

l is constrained such that l = 0, 1, . . . n-1,
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hydcol.html#c2

then m = -l, -l+1, . . . , 0, 1, . . . , l-1, l (there are 2l+1 values)
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hydazi.html#c2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_quantum_number

The problem wants the configuration based on the 2S+1{L}_J labelling.

Here's an example: What are the poss gs of Cl+.

1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p4

We need only consider the 3p4.

S = 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 : + indicates direct sum notation

So S = {0,1,2}

Since we only consider the four p electron, l =1

Therefore ml = -1,0,1

=> At least one of the spin particles must have opposite spin to the others so at least 2o f hte elctrons pair cancellin their psins. THus S= 1/2 + 1/2 = {0,1}
So the spin degeneracies are 2S+1 = {1,3}

Then L = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = {0,1,2,3,4}

|L-S| <= J <= L+S

Gives us a whole number of values using the 2S+1 {L}_J

Does that help?

I think the problem is asking for the possible quantum states described by n, l, m (or ml), ms

nusc said:
I think the problem is asking for the possible quantum states described by n, l, m (or ml), ms
That is what I'm thinking.

OK, so in the example of the excited Mg, there is 1 p and 1 d electron. Then, what are the possible states for the p and for the d electron?

You mean with a given p state and d state you want the orbital ang mom states?

FOr p, l =1
so ml = -1 , 0, 1

and for d, l = 2.
so ml = -2,-1 , 0, 1,2
N =3 in this case
IS that what you want?

Focus on p, l =1 and d, l = 2.

J runs from |L+S| to |L-S|.

See this discussion of optical spectra.

Nusc said:
The problem wants the configuration based on the 2S+1{L}_J labelling.

From that statement I will assume that we are doing L-S coupling (as opposed to j-j coupling).

Each electron has s=1/2. So what are the possible values of the total spin S?

One electron has l=1 (a p state) and the other electron has l=2 (a d state). What are the possible values of the total orbital angular momentum L?

Now, for each combination (S,L) you have (there will be a total of 6 combinations), figure out the possible values of J. Then, in each case, give the result in the notation [tex] \,^{2S+1} L_J [/tex]. For example, if the total spin is 1, L is 2 and J is 2, you have a[tex] \,^3 D_2 [/tex] state.

I hope this helps

Last edited:

1. What is electron configuration?

Electron configuration refers to the arrangement of electrons in an atom or molecule. This arrangement determines the physical and chemical properties of the atom or molecule.

2. How do you write electron configurations?

Electron configurations are written using the notation of the quantum theory, which includes the energy level, sublevel, and number of electrons in each sublevel. The notation for writing electron configurations is as follows: [energy level][sublevel][number of electrons in sublevel].

3. What is the significance of energy levels in electron configuration?

Energy levels in electron configuration represent the different energy states that an electron can occupy in an atom or molecule. These energy levels determine the stability and reactivity of the atom or molecule.

4. How do you determine the number of energy levels in an atom?

The number of energy levels in an atom is determined by the period or row that the element occupies in the periodic table. For example, elements in the first period have one energy level, while elements in the second period have two energy levels.

5. What is the maximum number of electrons that can occupy an energy level?

The maximum number of electrons that can occupy an energy level is determined by the formula 2n^2, where n is the energy level number. For example, the first energy level can hold a maximum of 2 electrons (2 x 1^2 = 2), while the second energy level can hold a maximum of 8 electrons (2 x 2^2 = 8).