Solving the Gaussian Cube Question: Understanding E = 7.35i - 5.63(y2 + 9.74)j

In summary, Gaussian cube is a software program used for calculating and visualizing the electronic structure of molecules. It works by solving the Schrödinger equation and can be used to study various types of molecules, producing highly accurate and reliable results. It can also be used for other types of calculations, such as molecular dynamics simulations and transition state searches.
Zythyr
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8083/47252155dr7.jpg

Okay I totally don't understand this problem at all. There is an example in the book also, but I just don't understand how to do it. Like the whole concept of how the E is written. I don't understand what this means: E = 7.35i - 5.63(y2 + 9.74)j.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out the concept behind the vector notation of the eletric field. But now the only thing I don't understand is what is the net flux. How do I calculate the next flux.

Could you explain it to me?

As a scientist, it is important to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and equations in order to accurately interpret and analyze data. The equation provided, E = 7.35i - 5.63(y2 + 9.74)j, is written in the form of a complex number, where i represents the imaginary unit and j represents the imaginary unit in the y direction. The real part of the number is 7.35i and the imaginary part is -5.63(y2 + 9.74)j.

To solve this equation, we need to understand how to work with complex numbers. The first step is to simplify the equation by distributing the -5.63 to the terms inside the parentheses. This gives us E = 7.35i - 5.63y2 - 51.3262j. Next, we can combine like terms to get E = -5.63y2 + 7.35i - 51.3262j.

From here, we can see that the equation is in the form of a quadratic equation, where the coefficient of y2 is -5.63. To solve for y, we can use the quadratic formula, which states that the solutions for y are given by:

y = (-b ± √(b2 - 4ac)) / 2a

In this case, a = -5.63, b = 0, and c = 51.3262. Plugging these values into the formula, we get y = 5.13i and y = -5.13i.

Therefore, the solutions to this equation are E = 7.35i - 5.63(5.13i) - 51.3262j and E = 7.35i - 5.63(-5.13i) - 51.3262j.

In summary, the equation E = 7.35i - 5.63(y2 + 9.74)j represents a complex number with a real part of 7.35i and an imaginary part of -5.63(y2 + 9.74)j. By simplifying and solving for y, we can find the solutions to this equation. I hope this explanation helps you better understand the problem and how to solve it.

1. What is a Gaussian cube question?

A Gaussian cube question is a type of scientific question that involves using a software program called Gaussian to calculate and visualize the electronic structure of molecules.

2. How does Gaussian cube work?

Gaussian cube works by using computational methods to solve the Schrödinger equation and calculate the molecular wavefunction. It then uses this wavefunction to calculate molecular properties such as energy, geometry, and electronic density.

3. What types of molecules can be studied using Gaussian cube?

Gaussian cube can be used to study a wide range of molecules, including organic molecules, inorganic molecules, and biomolecules.

4. How accurate are the results from Gaussian cube?

The accuracy of the results from Gaussian cube depends on the level of theory and basis set chosen by the user, as well as the complexity of the molecule being studied. Generally, the results are considered to be highly accurate and reliable.

5. Can Gaussian cube be used for other types of calculations?

Yes, Gaussian cube can be used for a variety of calculations, including molecular dynamics simulations, transition state searches, and excited state calculations.