Solving Statistics Questions: Alex’s Answers

• Thread starter PARAJON
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
The two statements are NOT equivalent! For one thing, the confidence interval is not the only consideration in deciding whether to reject a null hypothesis or not.
PARAJON
HI group, I was wondering if someone can check my answers to see if I'm right on the following questions. Thanks!

Alex

1.) The 95% confidence interval states that 95% of the sample means of a specified sample size selected from a population will lie within plus and minus 1.96 standard deviations of the hypothesized population mean.

a.) True
b.) False

My answer: False (population mean lies within the interval)

2.) If the null hypothesis that two means are equal is true, where will 97% of the computed z- values lie between?

a.) +- 2.58
b.) +- 2.33
c.) +- 2.17
d.) +- 2.07
e.) none of the above.

My answer: e : none of the above

3.) If the confidence interval includes 0, there is no difference in the pair of treatment means.

a.) Ture
b.) False

My answer: False

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't give any reason for your answers so I can't tell where you have gone wrong but you certainly have!

"1.) The 95% confidence interval states that 95% of the sample means of a specified sample size selected from a population will lie within plus and minus 1.96 standard deviations of the hypothesized population mean.

a.) True
b.) False

My answer: False (population mean lies within the interval)"

The question didn't ask about the population mean, it asked about the sample mean. The statement given is true and is, simply, the definition of "95% confidence interval". Check the definition in your book.

".) If the null hypothesis that two means are equal is true, where will 97% of the computed z- values lie between?

a.) +- 2.58
b.) +- 2.33
c.) +- 2.17
d.) +- 2.07
e.) none of the above.

My answer: e : none of the above"

How did you arrive at that? Checking a table of Normal Distribution values, I find that the area under the normal curve, from 0 to 2.17, is .485 which is .97/2. Because of the symmetry of the curve, 97% of the area is between -2.17 and 2.17, answer c.

"3.) If the confidence interval includes 0, there is no difference in the pair of treatment means.

a.) True
b.) False

My answer: False"

I'm not crazy about the question itself and would be willing to accept "false" based on the wording. If the confidence interval includes 0, then one cannot REJECT the null hypothesis that there is "no difference in the pair of treatment means" but that is NOT the same as saying there IS no difference!

(the confidence interval does not determine if there is a difference, it just shows the range of values in which the true difference between the means may lie)

1. What is the best approach for solving statistics questions?

The best approach for solving statistics questions is to understand the concepts and formulas, carefully read and analyze the given data, and then apply the appropriate methods and techniques to solve the problem.

2. How can I improve my skills in solving statistics questions?

You can improve your skills in solving statistics questions by practicing regularly, seeking help from experts, and by understanding the underlying concepts and principles.

3. Is it necessary to use a calculator or software while solving statistics questions?

It is not necessary to use a calculator or software while solving statistics questions, but it can save time and provide accurate results. However, it is important to understand the calculations and not rely solely on the technology.

4. How can I check if my answer to a statistics question is correct?

You can check the correctness of your answer by cross-checking it with the given data and applying the appropriate statistical tests or methods. Additionally, you can also seek help from peers or experts to verify your answer.

5. Can I apply the same method to solve all statistics questions?

No, different statistics questions may require different methods and techniques for solving them. It is important to carefully read and analyze the given data before deciding on the appropriate method to use.