Types of energy released in a nuclear explosion

In summary, John is arguing with someone about whether all energy released during a nuclear explosion is light or not. Pete believes that all energy is light, and John is asking for more information.
ChicagoJohn
Hi all.
I'm new to this forum, but I checked the FAQs and I think I'm in the right place to ask this:
Is there just one type of energy that is released during a nuclear explosion?

Please let me explain.
I'm in a very complicated argument with someone, and the argument has come to this point; is there more then one kind of energy released in a nuclear explosion, or is it all photons?

I understand - from what I've read - that photons are ultimately responsible for many different types of damage that a nuclear explosion causes. For instance, photons cause thermal heating of the surrounding air, which creates kinetic energy. (Am I even saying that right?)

But what I want to know is if all of the energy that is released at the source of a nuclear explosion ultimately starts off as photons.

{If it helps to understand my debate further... the person I was arguing with said that all energy is light.)

-John

Physics news on Phys.org
In a Uranium fission most of the energy goes into the KE of the uranium atoms, although they will presumably then hit other surrounding atoms and transfer that KE into heat. Then there are a couple of 2Mev neutrons and most of the bang goes in the form of a 30Mev gamma photon.

Astronuc is our expert in these things going bang ( although his day job is stopping them going bang!)

most of the bang goes in the form of a 30Mev gamma photon.
Not quite true. The gamma rays come out as a fission spectrum, mostly between 1 and 10 Mev.

Thanks MGB. That was pretty much what I thought. But since I know very little of physics, I didn't want to say anything without more info.

-John

ChicagoJohn said:
Thanks MGB. That was pretty much what I thought. But since I know very little of physics, I didn't want to say anything without more info.

-John
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Feel free to post what you want. I find it quite educational to so since this has led me to learn a great many things in these forums and newgroups on the internet. Don't worry about making mistakes. We all do at one time or another. So long as you can realize your mistakes, admit them as soon as possible when you do see your error and then learn from it. That's how I myself have used these discussions to learn. E.g. I just learned about something called a "velocity operator" which I had heard about before and formerly believed that there was no such thing. But I realized my mistake, readily admitted it, learned from it and moved on. Its the wise man who can admit his mistakes when it is called for.

Pete

1. What is a nuclear explosion?

A nuclear explosion is a powerful release of energy caused by the splitting or fusing of atomic nuclei. It can occur naturally, such as in the sun, or artificially through processes like nuclear fission or fusion.

2. What types of energy are released in a nuclear explosion?

There are two main types of energy released in a nuclear explosion: thermal energy and radiation. Thermal energy is released in the form of heat, while radiation is released in the form of gamma rays, neutrons, and other particles.

3. How does a nuclear explosion differ from other types of explosions?

Nuclear explosions differ from other types of explosions in several ways. First, they release much more energy due to the splitting or fusing of atomic nuclei. Second, they can occur without the presence of oxygen, unlike chemical explosions. Finally, nuclear explosions produce intense radiation that can have long-lasting effects on the environment and living organisms.

4. What are the potential effects of a nuclear explosion?

The effects of a nuclear explosion can range from immediate destruction and devastation to long-term environmental and health impacts. These can include blast damage, thermal radiation, radioactive fallout, and electromagnetic pulse (EMP) effects. The severity of these effects depends on factors such as the size of the explosion, the type of nuclear material used, and the distance from the explosion.

5. Can a nuclear explosion be controlled or stopped?

Once a nuclear explosion has been initiated, it cannot be controlled or stopped. However, there are steps that can be taken to prevent a nuclear explosion from occurring in the first place, such as strict regulations and safety protocols in nuclear facilities. In the event of a nuclear explosion, emergency response measures can be taken to mitigate the effects and aid those affected.