Get posts / new posts broken

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, when you click on "Get Posts" on the main menu, it tells you you're only allowed to make a request every 30 seconds. This is likely because of the low number of users still using IE6. However, this problem can be resolved by increasing the number of users who report similar problems.
DaveC426913
Gold Member

When I click on Get Posts and then click on New Posts, it tells me I'm "only allowed to make a request every 30 seconds, please try again in 30 seconds".

I am 99.9% sure this is not something dumb I'm doing like double-clicking.

I am using IE6.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm seems to work for me and I'm on IE7 Pro.

DaveC426913 said:
I am using IE6.

This voids any tech support questions lol

Ha ha. No seriously. Is this being looked into? IE6 still has a 25% user-base.

DaveC426913 said:
Ha ha. No seriously. Is this being looked into? IE6 still has a 25% user-base.

We'll need more users to report similar problems. No way for me to test. IE6 is over 10 years old. What are you waiting for?

Greg Bernhardt said:
We'll need more users to report similar problems.
Fair enough, but...
Greg Bernhardt said:
IE6 is over 10 years old.
I don't see how its age is relevant. The only thing that's relevant is that 25-30% of net users still use it (according to w3c).

Last edited:
Works for me on IE version 6.0.2900 / XP pro sp2

mgb_phys said:
Works for me on IE version 6.0.2900 / XP pro sp2
Yeah, it does sometimes. Mostly not though. Haven't found a pattern.

I get the same problem on two different systems.

Just another data point - I normally use Opera (the new 9.50 is excellent) I just keep IE6 around for my bank's site.
(My online banking is the one site that only works in a 10year old insecure browser!)

DaveC426913 said:
Menu.

When I click on Get Posts and then click on New Posts, it tells me I'm "only allowed to make a request every 30 seconds, please try again in 30 seconds".

I am 99.9% sure this is not something dumb I'm doing like double-clicking.

I am using IE6.

I've gone into "Classic mode" on my iMac for this post, and so I'm using OS 9.1 and Internet Explorer 5.1 for Mac.

My menu bar does not now have "Get Posts" or Quick Links", but does have "New Posts" (which works the way it should), and "Mark Forums Read" (which gives me the basic index page). :smile:

Whyever would the menu bar depend on the browser? :confused:

EDIT: I just tried clicking "Log Out", and nothing happened except a dialogue box "Undefined".

oh … and when I clicked "EDIT", I got what is normally the "Go Advanced" screen immediately.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
We'll need more users to report similar problems. No way for me to test. IE6 is over 10 years old. What are you waiting for?
I am running Safari on Mac OS 10.5.3 and have the exact same problem using the "Today's Posts" item under the "Quick Links" menu. It's annoying the first time when I have to wait 30 seconds. When I wait the 30 seconds and it does it again it is downright annoying.

Don't the drop down menus use Java? That might be more to do with the problem. Try updating that. Of course newer versions might not be supported on older browsers.

Cookies issue maybe?

Kurdt said:
Don't the drop down menus use Java? That might be more to do with the problem. Try updating that. Of course newer versions might not be supported on older browsers.

Fairly certain I've got the latest Java (at least 1.5).

I think it has more to do with firing the button event twice.

I think I see the problem now. There is a setting for shared searches. I'll play around with it.

1. Why are my new posts not showing up on my website?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as a technical issue with your website or a delay in the post being published. It is important to troubleshoot the issue and check for any errors or delays in the publishing process.

2. How can I fix broken links or images in my posts?

If you have broken links or images in your posts, it could be due to the source of the link or image being changed or removed. You can try updating the link or image source or replacing it with a new one. It is also important to regularly check and update any links or images in your posts to ensure they are working properly.

3. Why are my posts not appearing in the correct order?

This could be due to your website's settings or the way you have structured your posts. Make sure to check your website's settings and ensure that your posts are being displayed in the order you want them to appear. You may also need to rearrange your posts or use a different sorting method.

4. How can I make sure my new posts are indexed by search engines?

To ensure your new posts are indexed by search engines, you can use tools such as Google Search Console to submit your website's sitemap and request for your new posts to be crawled. It is also important to optimize your posts with relevant keywords and quality content to improve their visibility in search engine results.

5. What should I do if my posts are not getting any engagement or views?

If your posts are not receiving any engagement or views, it could be due to a lack of promotion or visibility. You can try promoting your posts on social media or engaging with other bloggers and websites to increase their visibility. It is also important to regularly create high-quality and engaging content to attract and retain readers.