Angle of reflection equation?

In summary, the question asks for the angle of reflection for a beam of light directed on a flat surface of a block of fused quartz (with an incorrect index of refraction of n=1.92). After using Snell's law to find the angle of incidence, the law of reflection can be used to find the angle of reflection, resulting in an answer of 74°. However, the correct index of refraction for fused quartz is n=1.46, which would lead to the correct answer of 46.9°. The confusion may have arisen from the misconception that the angle of refraction must be at least 90° for there to be reflection, but this is not the case.
parcerita
I have an assignment to due and it asks for the angle of reflection, but I don't know how to get it. This is the question:

"A beam of light is directed on the flat surface of a block of fused quartz (n=1.92). Part of the beam is refracted with an angle of refraction of 30°. What is the angle of reflection?"

The answer is 46.9°. What's the procedure? Thanks.

Hint: It is assumed that if it doesn't specify what medium the light is coming from then it is air (n=1.00).

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up Snell's law of refraction and the Law of reflection. You'll need them both.

Doc Al, I know Snell's Law and the law of reflection, but still can figure how to get the angle of reflection. I asked this with knowledge on the topic so your answer didn't help whatsoever.

parcerita said:
Doc Al, I know Snell's Law and the law of reflection, but still can figure how to get the angle of reflection. I asked this with knowledge on the topic so your answer didn't help whatsoever.
Snell's law and the law of reflection are all you need to solve this kind of problem. Unless you show what you've done, there's no way to tell what you know and don't know.

parcerita said:
"A beam of light is directed on the flat surface of a block of fused quartz (n=1.92).
That value for the index of refraction of fused quartz is incorrect.

The index of refraction is not meant to be correct, it probably just made up. With Snell's Law I was able to find the angle of incidence, but I don't know what to do next. Also I thought the angle of refraction had to be at least 90° for there to be reflection, that's why I'm stuck.

parcerita said:
The index of refraction is not meant to be correct, it probably just made up.
If you use the correct value, you'll quickly get the stated answer.
With Snell's Law I was able to find the angle of incidence, but I don't know what to do next.
Use the law of reflection to find the angle of reflection (this step is trivial). But you won't get the given answer without correcting the index of refraction.
Also I thought the angle of refraction had to be at least 90° for there to be reflection, that's why I'm stuck.
No. Perhaps you are confusing this with total internal reflection.

Yeah, you are right that's total internal reflection. I can't change the index of refraction because it's a question in the assignment. It's kind of like it is what it is because the question was written that way (hope you know what I mean). Anyway thanks for trying to help ;)

parcerita said:
I can't change the index of refraction because it's a question in the assignment. It's kind of like it is what it is because the question was written that way (hope you know what I mean). Anyway thanks for trying to help ;)
If you found the angle of incidence using Snell's law, then you have the angle of reflection (as described above). It just won't agree with the given answer, for the reasons stated.

Just for fun: Look up the index of refraction of fused quartz.

Well ends up that the answer my teacher provided was wrong and that my initial answer of 74° was indeed correct. Again thanks for your help.

parcerita said:
Well ends up that the answer my teacher provided was wrong and that my initial answer of 74° was indeed correct.
That's the correct answer using the information given in the problem.

But if you look up the index of refraction for fused quartz, you'll get something like n = 1.46. Use that corrected value and you'll get an answer of 46.9°. :wink:

What is the angle of reflection equation?

The angle of reflection equation is a mathematical formula that represents the relationship between the incident angle (the angle at which a ray of light hits a surface) and the reflected angle (the angle at which the light bounces off the surface). It is given by the formula: θr = θi, where θr is the angle of reflection and θi is the incident angle.

How is the angle of reflection equation derived?

The angle of reflection equation is derived from the law of reflection, which states that the incident angle is equal to the reflected angle. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. As light energy is reflected off a surface, the angle at which it bounces off is equal to the angle at which it hits the surface.

What is the significance of the angle of reflection equation?

The angle of reflection equation is important in the field of optics, as it allows scientists to predict and calculate the path of light rays as they reflect off different surfaces. This equation is also used in various applications, such as in the design of mirrors, lenses, and other optical instruments.

Can the angle of reflection equation be applied to other types of waves?

Yes, the angle of reflection equation can be applied to other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves. This is because the law of reflection is a general principle that applies to all types of waves, not just light waves.

Are there any exceptions to the angle of reflection equation?

Generally, the angle of reflection equation holds true for most surfaces. However, in some cases, such as with rough or irregular surfaces, the angle of reflection may not be equal to the incident angle. This is because the surface may scatter or diffuse the light rays in different directions. In such cases, the angle of reflection equation may not be applicable.