Mechanical Energy of Particle in Horizontal Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanical energy of a particle revolving in a horizontal circle under a centripetal force. The two solutions presented involve different approaches, with one using a potential energy reference level at the horizontal plane and the other using the energy at infinity as the reference level. The latter solution is deemed more accurate as it avoids any faulty calculations and takes into account the change in potential energy as the particle approaches a distance r.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

A particle of mass "m" is revolving in a horizontal circle of radius "r" under a centripetal force -k/(r*r), where k is a constant. What is the mechanical energy of the particle.

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two solutions to the problem I have got. One is mine, the other was published in my book.
My own approach:
I take the potential energy reference level at the horizontal plane at which the particle is.
Therefore its potential energy is 0
Now by equation for circular motion:
[tex]\frac{mv^{2}}{r}=\frac{-k}{r^{2}}[/tex][tex]mv^{2}=\frac{-k}{r}[/tex]

Kinetic Energy=[tex]0.5*mv^{2}=0.5\frac{-k}{r}[/tex]Now my books solution:
U=-[tex]\int\frac{-k * dr}{r^{2}}=-k/r[/tex]
I know this step is done because magnitude of conservative force acting is negative of the rate of change of potential energy.

[tex]\frac{mv^{2}}{r}=\frac{k}{r^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]K=0.5 mv^{2}=\frac{k}{2r}[/tex]

Now they add these two to get the same result I did. Where is the anomaly? Was my solution incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your choice of zero potential energy was arbitrary. Of course, one can set potential equal to zero anywhere he/she pleases, but in a case such as this one, the potential energy is usually the energy at infinity. It's because at infinity the attractive force is zero, so the particles do not interact, therefore, they share no potential energy. As they approach to a distance r, the attraction results in increase of kinetic energy, which is also, by energy conservation, the decrease of potential energy.

Your result has an obvious fault. Look here:

[tex]E = \frac{mv^2}{2} = \frac{-k}{2r}[/tex]

If k is positive and r is positive, the velocity v can't be real! It's just a matter of dimensions that you have the same dependence k/r and pure luck that there's the same factor 0.5. If the force was 1/r^3 or something like that, you wouldn't get the same factor.

solved
Thanks a lot.

1. What is mechanical energy of a particle in horizontal circle?

The mechanical energy of a particle in horizontal circle is the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. It represents the energy that the particle possesses due to its motion and position in a circular path.

2. How is mechanical energy conserved in a horizontal circle?

In a horizontal circle, mechanical energy is conserved because the only forces acting on the particle are perpendicular to its motion, meaning there is no work being done to change the energy of the particle. This conservation of energy is known as the law of conservation of mechanical energy.

3. What factors affect the mechanical energy of a particle in horizontal circle?

The mechanical energy of a particle in horizontal circle is affected by its mass, velocity, and the radius of the circle. A heavier particle will have more kinetic energy, while a faster particle or a particle in a larger circle will have more potential energy.

4. How is mechanical energy related to centripetal force?

In a horizontal circle, the centripetal force is responsible for keeping the particle in its circular path. This force is perpendicular to the motion of the particle, meaning it does not do any work and does not change the mechanical energy of the particle.

5. Can the mechanical energy of a particle in horizontal circle ever be negative?

No, the mechanical energy of a particle in horizontal circle can never be negative. This is because kinetic energy and potential energy are always positive quantities, and the sum of two positive values can never be negative.