What is a liquid phase chemical that is insoluble in THF?

• Thread starter Mr Noblet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solvent
In summary, the conversation is about finding a liquid phase chemical that is insoluble in THF (tetrahydrofuran) and would phase separate. The participants discuss different options such as alcohols, amines, ketones, hydrocarbons, diethyl ether, and dimethyl sulfoxide. One participant suggests using a table from Merck for reference. Another suggests using saturated brine, which has been used in making POSS materials.
Mr Noblet
Hello,

I'm looking for a liquid phase chemical that would be insoluble in THF (that would phase separate). Does anyone know of one, or where I could find that information?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mr Noblet said:
Hello,

I'm looking for a liquid phase chemical that would be insoluble in THF (that would phase separate). Does anyone know of one, or where I could find that information?

What type of chemicals fit your criteria? I remember doing solubility experiments with alcohols , amines , ketones ... THF is a good solvent for most of them. How about hydrocarbons?

You're out of luck

http://www.merck.com.au/techsup/images/new_miscible_table.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey that table was still very useful. I may be able to use diethyl ether and dimethyl sulfoxide. Thank you very much

Mr Noblet said:
Hello,

Saturated brine will phase separate, I believe. That is how I remember making POSS materials.

1. What is THF?

THF stands for tetrahydrofuran, which is a colorless organic compound commonly used as a solvent.

2. What does it mean for a solvent to be insoluble in THF?

Solvent insoluble in THF means that the substance cannot be dissolved in tetrahydrofuran, even when subjected to agitation or heating.

3. What are some common solvents that are insoluble in THF?

Solvents such as water, alcohols, and acetone are typically insoluble in THF.

4. Why is it important to know if a solvent is insoluble in THF?

Knowing the solubility of a substance in THF is important because it can affect the choice of solvent for a particular experiment or reaction. If a substance is insoluble in THF, a different solvent may need to be used.

5. How can you determine if a solvent is insoluble in THF?

The simplest way to determine if a solvent is insoluble in THF is to mix the two substances together and observe if they form two distinct layers. If there is no mixing or dissolution, it can be concluded that the solvent is insoluble in THF.