Solving PDE with Laplace Transform

In summary, the student is trying to solve a non-homogeneous second order ODE. They have reached the transformation stage and just need to solve the equation. However, they still do not understand how to solve the equation. They have tried different methods and found that the particular solution is obtained by the method of Undetermined Coefficients. Next, they need to apply the initial conditions to find the constants in the homogeneous equation. Finally, they can solve for the coefficients using an arbitrary linear combination and then solve for the original function using the inverse Laplace transform.
tommyhakinen

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial t^{2}} = a^{2} \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}}[/tex] (x>0, t>0)

with u(0,t) = t, u(x,0) = 0, ut(x,0) = A.

Solve the PDE using laplace transform.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to get the transform:
[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}U(x,s)}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{s^{2}}{a^{2}}U(x,s) = - \frac{A}{a^{2}}[/tex]

How should I continue from here? How do I find the solution for U(x,s)? If using Integrating factor, how should I do it? thanks..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
U depends on the single variable x- s is a parameter. So that is an ordinary equation, U'+ (s2/a2)U= -A/s2. That' s a linear equation with constant coefficients. If you are working with partial differential equations and the Laplace transform you should no quicker ways of solving such an equation than finding an integrating factor. Actually you should also by now have learned a general formula for an integrating factor of a linear equation.

By the way, please don't use [itex]\delta[/itex] for partial derivatives. Use [itex]\partial[/itex] using the Latex symbol "\partial'.

I know for first order ODE, we can use U' + p(x)U = q(x) by first finding the integrating factor. IF = e∫p(x)dx. then u = 1/IF ∫ q(x) IF dx. However, this problem is a second order ODE and non-homogenous. How should I get the solution for the U(x,s)?

You could carry out a second Laplace transform on the x variable. You then solve the algebraic equation and take (look up) the inverse transform. Otherwise you can solve the ODE directly (remembering s is a constant w.r.t. x) and then inverse transform it back to get the solution.

The general idea is Laplace transforms convert differential equations to algebraic equations. Transform-->Solve-->Inverse Transform.

thanks jambaugh. I have tried it. Basically my problem is on solving non-homogenous second order ODE. I have reached the transformation stage. I just need to solve the ODE. I still do not understand how to solve this:

[tex]
\frac{\partial^{2}U(x,s)}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{s^{2}}{a^{2}}U(x,s) = - \frac{A}{a^{2}}
[/tex]

thanks.

tommyhakinen said:
thanks jambaugh. I have tried it. Basically my problem is on solving non-homogenous second order ODE. I have reached the transformation stage. I just need to solve the ODE. I still do not understand how to solve this:

[tex]
\frac{\partial^{2}U(x,s)}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{s^{2}}{a^{2}}U(x,s) = - \frac{A}{a^{2}}
[/tex]

thanks.

First find the homogeneous solution to
[tex] U'' - \frac{s^2}{a^2}U = 0[/tex]
then find a particular solution to the inhomogeneous equation and add.

The homogeneous equation is linear with constant coefficient so try the form [tex]U=Ce^{rx}[/tex] and you get the characteristic equation (a quadratic equation in r). You get, I believe, two distinct roots so take an arbitrary linear combination of these.

[tex] U_h = C_1 e^{r_1 x} + C_2 e^{r_2 x}[/tex]

The particular solution is most easily obtained by the method of Undetermined Coefficients.
Start with your function [tex] f(x) = -\frac{A}{a^2}[/tex]. Factor out any constants (the whole thing here) to get your starting function,( 1 in your case). Differentiate repeatedly and see if you get a finite set of linearly independent functions. (In this case you get trivially the set { 1 }. If you don't get a finite set (up to constant multipliers) you must use variation of parameters but that's not the case here.

If for example if your function had been [tex] kx^3[/tex] you'd get [tex] \{ x^3, x^2, x,1\} [/tex]
Or for example if your function had been [tex] 7\sin(5x)[/tex] you'd get [tex] \{ \sin(5x), \cos(5x) \}[/tex]

Now try an arbitrary linear combination from your basis set in the inhomogeneous equation and solve for the coefficients. (In your case take [tex] U_p = K\cdot 1[/tex] and so its second derivative is zero and you can solve for K trivially. (I think [tex] U_p = As^2 [/tex] but double check.)

Now that you have the general = particular + homogeneous solution
[tex] U = C_1 e^{r_1 x} + C_2 e^{r_2 x} + K[/tex]
you must apply the initial conditions to find some or all of the constants which occur in the homogeneous part.

I believe you are short one initial condition to get a unique solution. Since the x-eqn is 2nd order you'll need two x-value initial conditions. If so then that's OK you'll have an extra parameter in your solution.

Now find the reverse Laplace transform of your solution (you'll note that the constants in the solution depend on s.)

But again you could also do this by executing a second Laplace transform in the x-variable:
[tex] \mathbf{L}: U(x,s) \mapsto \tilde{U}(r,s)[/tex]
Solve the algebraic equation and then double inverse Laplace transform. I suspect that was the intent in order to avoid the above ODE method.

Last edited:

1. What is the Laplace Transform method used for in solving PDEs?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical technique used to transform a differential equation into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve. In the context of solving PDEs, the Laplace Transform can help convert a PDE into an ODE, which can then be solved using traditional methods.

2. How does the Laplace Transform method work for solving PDEs?

The Laplace Transform involves taking the integral of a function multiplied by an exponential term. This transforms the function from the time domain to the frequency domain. The transformed equation can then be solved using algebraic methods, and the solution can be transformed back to the time domain to obtain the solution to the original PDE.

3. What are the benefits of using the Laplace Transform method for solving PDEs?

The Laplace Transform method can simplify complex PDEs and make them easier to solve. It can also handle a wider range of boundary conditions compared to other methods, making it a versatile tool for solving PDEs. Additionally, it can provide a more general solution that can be applied to different initial or boundary conditions.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace Transform method for solving PDEs?

While the Laplace Transform method can be effective for solving certain types of PDEs, it may not always be the best approach. It may not be applicable to all types of PDEs, and the transformed equations can sometimes be difficult to solve or involve complex calculations. In some cases, other methods such as separation of variables or numerical methods may be more suitable.

5. Can the Laplace Transform method be used for solving PDEs in higher dimensions?

Yes, the Laplace Transform method can be extended to solve PDEs in higher dimensions. However, the calculations can become more complex and the process may be more time-consuming. In these cases, other methods such as Fourier transforms or numerical methods may be more efficient.