Prove that (cscx - cotx)^2 = (1-cosx)/(1+cosx)

• Thread starter Random-Hero-
  • Start date
In summary, the equation (cscx - cotx)^2 = (1-cosx)/(1+cosx) is a trigonometric identity that relates the cosecant and cotangent functions to the cosine function. It can be proven using algebraic manipulations and trigonometric identities, and is significant for simplifying and solving trigonometric expressions. It can also be used to solve for unknown values of x, but there are restrictions on the values of x that can be used due to potential division by 0 errors.
Random-Hero-

Homework Statement

I can't seem to figure out how to prove that (cscx - cotx)^2 = (1-cosx)/(1+cosx).

Homework Equations

I believe I just need to do appropriate substitution using compound angle formulas, double angle formulas, etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

I got as far as this

1 + cot^2x - 2(1/tanx)(1/sinx) + cot^2x = (1-cosx)/(1+cosx)

Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not that complicated. Turn everything into sin's and cos's. The denominator is sin(x)^2. That's (1-cos^2(x)). Factor it.

1. What does the equation (cscx - cotx)^2 = (1-cosx)/(1+cosx) mean?

The equation (cscx - cotx)^2 = (1-cosx)/(1+cosx) is a trigonometric identity that expresses the relationship between the cosecant and cotangent functions in terms of the cosine function.

2. How can this equation be proved?

This equation can be proved using basic algebraic manipulations and trigonometric identities such as the Pythagorean identity and the reciprocal identities for cosecant and cotangent.

3. What is the significance of this equation?

This equation is significant because it allows us to simplify and solve trigonometric expressions involving the cosecant and cotangent functions, which are commonly used in mathematics and physics.

4. Can this equation be used to solve for unknown values of x?

Yes, this equation can be used to solve for unknown values of x in trigonometric expressions involving the cosecant and cotangent functions.

5. Are there any restrictions on the values of x that can be used in this equation?

Yes, since the equation involves the cosecant and cotangent functions, x cannot equal 0 or any integer multiple of π, as these values would result in a division by 0 error.