Composition of functions

In summary, the question is asking for what values of f, g, h, and i will result in the two expressions a∘b and b∘a being equal for all real numbers x. The solution involves equating the two expressions and solving for the unknown variables. It is important to consider the entire set of real numbers as a possible solution.
cahiersujet

Homework Statement

Let a=fx+g and b=hx+i. For which real numbers f,g,h,i a∘ b = b∘ a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a∘ b(x)=(a(b(x))= h(fx+g)+i= fhx+gh+i
b∘ a(x)=(b(a(x))= f(hx+i)+g= fhx+fi+g
I'm kind of stuck here as I don't think I know what the question is really asking for so I'm unable to proceed :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Equate the two, rearrange and find solutions, even if algebraic, for the unknowns you want. Just be careful because the question seems to be asking for the whole of the real numbers.

The Bob

1. What is the definition of composition of functions?

Composition of functions is a mathematical operation that combines two or more functions to create a new function. It involves using the output of one function as the input of another function.

2. How is composition of functions represented?

Composition of functions is represented using the symbol "∘" which is read as "composed with". For example, if f and g are two functions, the composition of f and g is written as f ∘ g.

3. What is the order of composition of functions?

The order of composition of functions is important. When composing two functions f and g, the order in which they are composed matters. That is, f ∘ g is not equal to g ∘ f.

4. What is the domain and range of a composed function?

The domain of a composed function is the set of all possible input values that can be used for the innermost function. The range of a composed function is the set of all possible output values that can be obtained from the outermost function.

5. How is composition of functions used in real life?

Composition of functions is used in various fields of science and technology, such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It is used to model complex systems and processes, and to solve real-world problems. For example, in computer science, composition of functions is used in programming to create new functions from existing ones.