Find Phase Shift & # Squares to Move Trig Graphs

In summary, the student is having trouble with finding the phase shift and number of squares to move the graph over in cosine and sine graphs. They have been able to calculate amplitude and change the scale of the graph, but struggle with shifting it left or right. They are seeking help and wondering if there is an equation they can use to determine the number of squares to shift. The conversation includes examples on the board and a question about where to place the "bumpy bit" in the graph.
cruisx
Hi i was just wondering if someone could tell me how one can find the phase shift and the number of squares to move the graph over by from an equation?. We are doing cosine and sine graphs and my teacher has been away for a few days so the supply teachers haven't been really that great in teaching. I know how to get the amplitude and change the scale of the graph suchs as 2 [tex]\pi[/tex] or 3[tex]\pi[/tex]/2. I can also plot the base curve fine but i get stuck when i have to shift it right or left. I don't know how many number of squares to do so? I was wondering if someone would be helpfull enough to teach me so? is there an equation i can use? i would really appericiate the help.

(example of some of the examples that were on the board)
1) y = 5cos3([tex]\vartheta[/tex]-[tex]\pi[/tex])

2) y = 2cos3(x + [tex]\pi[/tex]/6)

i can figure everything else out excpet for the phase shift(how many squares to shif the graph)

thanks in advance to who ever tries to help me out. :cool:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi cruisx! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π :wink:)
cruisx said:
(example of some of the examples that were on the board)
1) y = 5cos3([tex]\vartheta[/tex]-[tex]\pi[/tex])

2) y = 2cos3(x + [tex]\pi[/tex]/6)

i can figure everything else out excpet for the phase shift(how many squares to shif the graph)

ok, let's do 2) …

you know how to draw y = 2cos3x …

where do you put the bumpy bit in the middle?

instead of at x = 0, it'll be at (x + π/6) = 0,

in other words at x = -π/6 …

so you shift the graph π/6 to the left. :wink:

1. How do I find the phase shift of a trig graph?

To find the phase shift of a trigonometric graph, you need to determine the horizontal translation of the graph. This can be done by comparing the original function to the transformed function. The phase shift is the amount the graph has been shifted to the left or right. For example, if the original function is y = sin(x) and the transformed function is y = sin(x - 2), the phase shift is 2 units to the right.

2. What is the significance of finding the phase shift of a trig graph?

The phase shift of a trigonometric graph is important because it helps to visualize the changes in the graph caused by translations. By knowing the phase shift, you can accurately sketch the graph and make predictions about its behavior. It also allows you to compare different trigonometric functions and see how they are related.

3. How can I determine the number of squares to move a trig graph?

The number of squares to move a trigonometric graph depends on the phase shift. To find the number of squares, you can divide the phase shift by the period of the function. The period is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the graph. For example, if the phase shift is 3 units and the period is 2π, you would move the graph 3/2π squares to the right.

4. Can the phase shift of a trig graph be negative?

Yes, the phase shift of a trigonometric graph can be negative. A negative phase shift indicates a horizontal translation to the left. This means that the graph has been shifted to the left of the original function. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the phase shift when determining the direction of the translation.

5. Is there a formula for finding the phase shift and number of squares to move a trig graph?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the phase shift and number of squares to move a trigonometric graph. The formula is: phase shift = (horizontal translation)/period. This formula can be used to calculate the phase shift and number of squares for any trigonometric function.