Evaluating Line Integrals Using Stokes' Theorem

In summary, to evaluate the line integral I = (x2z + yzexy) dx + xzexy dy + exy dz over the arc of the ellipse r(t) = (cost,sint,2−sint) for 0 <= t <= PI, we can use Stokes' theorem and find a suitable surface S such that C is part of the boundary, and then divide the integral for the full surface by 2 to get the open curve. Another option is to add a straight line to close the curve, which would result in the integral of the curl of the surface minus the integral of the straight line. The choice of which method to
jrenman

Homework Statement

Evaluate the line integral
I = (x2z + yzexy) dx + xzexy dy + exy dz

where C is the arc of the ellipse r(t) = (cost,sint,2−sint) for 0 <= t <= PI.
[Hint: Do not compute this integral directly. Find a suitable surface S such that C is a part of the boundary ∂S and use Stokes’ theorem.]

Homework Equations

Stoke's theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Because this is from 0 to Pi, this is an open curve? Can you compute the integral using stokes theorem over the surface from 0 to 2Pi, so you have a closed curve and then divide that answer by two to get the open curve 0 to Pi?
I'm confused on what techniques to use when the curve is open.

any help would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
that is an open curve, half the ellipsoid as you say

choosing the curve to close should be based on the symmetry of the problem to get the easiest answer. The 2 options might be:
- extending the other half of the ellispoid
- a straight line between the ends of the half ellipsoid

you will only be able to divide the intergal for the full ellipsoid by 2 if the vector field symmetry shows each half same for each half

so i would go back to your vector field & see if you can tease out any symmetries (which i haven't attempted yet)

Last edited:
PS - the extra section you add to close the curve could be a reasonably simple line integral to evaluate (thinking straight line)

If I used the method of adding a straight line, would the line integral of the curve of the ellipse be the integral of the curl of the surface minus the integral of the straight line?

sounds reasonable to me

1. What is Stokes' Theorem and how does it relate to line integrals?

Stokes' Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve to the surface integral of the curl of the same vector field over the surface enclosed by the curve. In simpler terms, it allows us to evaluate a line integral by converting it into a surface integral.

2. How do you apply Stokes' Theorem to evaluate a line integral?

To apply Stokes' Theorem, you first need to determine the curl of the vector field in question. Then, you need to find the surface that is enclosed by the closed curve and calculate the surface integral of the curl over that surface. Finally, you can equate this surface integral to the line integral and solve for the desired value.

3. What are the requirements for using Stokes' Theorem to evaluate a line integral?

In order for Stokes' Theorem to be applicable, the vector field must be continuous and differentiable over the surface enclosed by the curve. Additionally, the curve must be closed (meaning it starts and ends at the same point) and smooth (meaning it has a tangent vector at every point).

4. Can Stokes' Theorem be used to evaluate any line integral?

No, Stokes' Theorem can only be used to evaluate line integrals of vector fields that satisfy the requirements mentioned above. Additionally, the curve and surface must be chosen carefully in order to accurately apply the theorem and obtain a meaningful result.

5. What are the advantages of using Stokes' Theorem to evaluate line integrals?

Using Stokes' Theorem can often simplify the process of evaluating a line integral, as it allows us to convert it into a surface integral which may be easier to solve. It also provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between line integrals and surface integrals, and can be used to solve more complex problems in vector calculus.