Cooper Pairs & BCS Theory Explained

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
In summary, a Cooper pair is formed by a single electron state and its time-reversed counterpart, where the time-reversal operator is applied to the state with the outcome being the negative of the original state. This allows for a better understanding of the concept of Cooper pairs.
Niles
Hi

In my book it says that a Cooper pair is formed by a single electron state and its time-reversed counterpart. The way I have understood it, a Cooper pair is formed by the states

[tex]
\left| {k \uparrow } \right\rangle \quad \text{and} \quad \left| { - k \downarrow } \right\rangle.
[/tex]

Where does the time-reversal come into play?Niles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to act with the time-reversal operator on the state [tex] \left| {k \uparrow } \right\rangle \quad [/tex] and see what you get. (You first need to look up how this operator works.)

Edit: Okay I might as well reveal that you should get [tex]
T\left| {k \uparrow } \right\rangle \quad = \quad \left| { - k \downarrow } \right\rangle.
[/tex]

element4 said:
Try to act with the time-reversal operator on the state [tex] \left| {k \uparrow } \right\rangle \quad [/tex] and see what you get. (You first need to look up how this operator works.)

Edit: Okay I might as well reveal that you should get [tex]
T\left| {k \uparrow } \right\rangle \quad = \quad \left| { - k \downarrow } \right\rangle.
[/tex]

Ahh, I see. I'll take a closer look at the operator.

Thanks.

1. What are Cooper pairs and how do they relate to BCS theory?

Cooper pairs are pairs of electrons that are bound together by a weak attractive force. This phenomenon is explained by BCS theory, which proposes that the lattice vibrations in a superconductor create an attractive interaction between electrons, leading to the formation of Cooper pairs.

2. How does BCS theory explain the phenomenon of superconductivity?

BCS theory explains superconductivity by proposing that the formation of Cooper pairs allows for the free flow of electrons through the lattice, without any resistance. This results in the complete loss of electrical resistance and the ability to conduct electricity without any loss of energy.

3. What is the significance of the energy gap in BCS theory?

The energy gap in BCS theory is the energy required to break apart a Cooper pair. This energy gap is responsible for the zero resistance and other properties of superconductors, and its size is directly related to the critical temperature at which a material becomes superconducting.

4. Can BCS theory explain all types of superconductors?

No, BCS theory can only explain conventional superconductors, which are characterized by a weak coupling between electrons and lattice vibrations. High-temperature superconductors, on the other hand, cannot be fully explained by BCS theory and require other theoretical models.

5. How has BCS theory revolutionized our understanding of superconductivity?

BCS theory has provided a comprehensive explanation for the phenomenon of superconductivity, allowing for the prediction and discovery of new superconducting materials. It has also led to the development of practical applications, such as the creation of powerful magnets used in medical imaging and particle accelerators.