Multiplying Columns of Numbers in C Programming

In summary, the conversation discusses using a C program to multiply a column of numbers with a constant and the desired output format of the result. The speaker mentions using the %14.9lf format specifier and wanting the result to be displayed in scientific notation. They also recommend checking the documentation and suggest using either 'e' or 'g' in the format specifier.
Rajini
Hello all,

I wrote a C program to multiply a column of numbers (for eg., number will look like this 10.45618) with some constant...
after multiplication i get the correct value (i tested using calculator).
Now the output is 0.00005672 (i use %14.9lf) ..but i want them to display like this: 5.672E or D-5.
E stands for 10.
thanks for your help.

Technology news on Phys.org
Check the documentation on format specifiers for printf. There are a lot of useful options, it would be good to know what's possible and know where to look things up -- so go googling!

I think for your particular issue, you want 'e' or 'g' instead of 'f'; I don't remember which one.

It's e. g uses the shorter of the e vs. f formats.

What is the purpose of multiplying columns of numbers in C programming?

The purpose of multiplying columns of numbers in C programming is to perform mathematical operations on a set of data to manipulate and analyze it in a more efficient manner.

How do you multiply columns of numbers in C programming?

To multiply columns of numbers in C programming, you can use the multiplication operator (*) or the math library function "mul()" to perform the multiplication. You will need to specify the variables or values to be multiplied and assign the result to a new variable.

What data types can be multiplied in C programming?

In C programming, integers (int) and floating-point numbers (float or double) can be multiplied. However, you should be cautious when multiplying floating-point numbers as they may result in rounding errors.

Can you multiply multiple columns of numbers at once in C programming?

Yes, you can multiply multiple columns of numbers at once in C programming. You will need to specify the variables or values for each column and use the multiplication operator (*) to perform the multiplication. Make sure to assign the result to a new variable or print it out for further use.

What are some common mistakes when multiplying columns of numbers in C programming?

Some common mistakes when multiplying columns of numbers in C programming include using the wrong data types, not assigning the result to a variable, and forgetting to include the multiplication operator (*). It is also essential to ensure that the correct variables or values are used for each column to avoid errors in the calculation.