Projectile Motion Physics I

In summary, the stone takes about 2 seconds to strike the ground. It lands with an angle of about 42.98 degrees and with a speed of 18.0 m/s.
quality101
This is my first posting and I am a rookie at this so please bear with me. This is a General Physics I class w/trig.

I am having great difficulty understanding how to set up and solve a projectile motion problem. To further complicate things, my Physics instructor is showing us a method to solve for both position and velocity by manipulating the variables algebraically to simplify (she says) the problem into one variable prior to inserting any numbers.

I'll try to be as brief as I know how to show my work and where I am stuck as you suggest:

Problem: A stone is tossed horizontally off a 50.0 m cliff at a velocity of 18.0 m/s. a) How long does it take for the stone to strike the ground? b) With what speed and angle of impact does it land?

I have drawn 2 diagrams, one depicting the height of the cliff and the trajectory of the stone and the other a right angle triangle to determine the unknown angle and the unknown distance (x). I have chosen the coordinate system where x represents the ground and is positive and horizontal and y is positive up from the ground. We are not to consider any resistance upon the stone and we are considering the projectile motion from the time of release until just before it strikes the ground.

What I know (I think):

h = 50.0 m
vnaught = 18.0 m/s
(0,0) = intersection of vertical cliff and horizontal ground.
g = +9.80 m/s^2
t(inital) = 0
xnaught = 0

What I don't know:

angle (theta)
distance at final x(subf)
time at final t(subf)
vnaught(x)
vnaught(y)

I am attempting to solve for theta first and thus am using my second illustration. I know my vertical component y = 50.0 m and that is my Vnaught(y) and I know my hypotenuse Vnaught is 18.0 m/s. When trying to solve for Vnaught(x) using the pythagrean therom I am coming up with an entirely different answer than that given me in the book.

My approach: b^2 = c^2 - a^2
sqr b^2 = (sqr 18.0^2 - sqr 50.0^2)
sqr b^2 = (sqr 324 - sqr 2500)
sqr b^2 = (sqr -2176)
b = 46.6 m Vnaught(x) then = 46.6 m

Solving for theta: theta = tan(-1)(-46.6/50.0) = -42.98 deg.

The book's answer is -60.1 deg.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is Vx(final) and Vy(final) ?
Only when you find these 2, you can apply the trigonometry formula.
What is the magnitude of V, the thing we call speed, after you have found the above.

Attachments

• Picture.GIF
    Picture.GIF
    1.8 KB · Views: 476
To further complicate things, my Physics instructor is showing us a method to solve for both position and velocity by manipulating the variables algebraically to simplify (she says) the problem into one variable prior to inserting any numbers.

First let me say, that's great!

Problem: A stone is tossed horizontally off a 50.0 m cliff at a velocity of 18.0 m/s. a) How long does it take for the stone to strike the ground? b) With what speed and angle of impact does it land?

so at the top [tex] V_{y} = 0 [/tex] so [tex] V_{x} = 18m/s[/tex]

info
[tex] Y_{o} = 50 m [/tex]
[tex] V_{xo} = 18 m/s [/tex]
[tex] V_{yo} = 0 m/s [/tex]
[tex] X_{o} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \theta_{o} = 0^o [/tex]

Using this kinematics equation
[tex] V = V_{o} + at [/tex]

so
[tex] V_{y} = -gt [/tex]

[tex] -\frac{V_{y}}{g} = t [/tex]

and using this equation
[tex] Y - Y_{o} = V_{o}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

when it hits the ground y=0 so
[tex] -Y_{o} = -\frac{1}{2}g(-\frac{V_{y}}{g})^2 [/tex]

[tex] -Y_{o} = -\frac{V_{y}^2}{2g} [/tex]

[tex] 2gY_{o} = V_{y}^2 [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object moves through the air under the influence of gravity alone. This means that the object is not being pushed or pulled by any other forces, and its path is determined solely by the force of gravity.

2. How is projectile motion different from other types of motion?

Projectile motion is different from other types of motion, such as uniform circular motion, because it involves a combination of two motions: a constant horizontal motion and a vertical motion influenced by gravity. This results in a curved path known as a parabola.

3. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. These factors determine the trajectory, range, and height of the projectile.

4. How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time. The trajectory can also be graphed using the parametric equations x = v0cosθt and y = v0sinθt - ½gt2, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion has many real-life applications, such as throwing a ball, launching a rocket, or shooting a basketball. It is also used in sports like baseball, golf, and archery, as well as in military operations such as artillery fire. Understanding projectile motion is also important in designing and testing aircraft and missiles.