Proving an Inequality for n≥4: 2n<n! and 2n≤2((n-1)!)

• Thread starter silvermane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the student attempted to solve an exercise involving induction but wasn't sure if the conclusion was true. After consulting with a friend, they were able to figure out the solution.
silvermane
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that if n is a natural number and is greater/equal to 4, then 2n<n!,
and show that 2n is less/equal to 2((n-1)!) follows.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking I just need to use induction on n for the first part, where I get the inequality
(n+1)! = n!*(n+1) > 2n(n+1) > 2n*(2) =2n+1.

After this conclusion, can I just say that 2n is less/equal to 2((n-1!) follows from my proof of induction or is there something else that I need to do?

Thanks in advance for your help! No answers please :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can say that this follows from your induction proof.

But I think that the point of your exercise is to show that [tex]2^n\leq 2(n-1)! [/tex], while using only that [tex]2^n<n![/tex]. So while saying that this follows from your induction is correct, I don't think that your exercise wants you to do that :smile: Just my interpretation, I could be wrong tho...

micromass said:
Yes, you can say that this follows from your induction proof.

But I think that the point of your exercise is to show that [tex]2^n\leq 2(n-1)! [/tex], while using only that [tex]2^n<n![/tex]. So while saying that this follows from your induction is correct, I don't think that your exercise wants you to do that :smile: Just my interpretation, I could be wrong tho...

Yes, this isn't what I was too sure of, though the professor usually let's us just assume it true after our initial induction proof. If I need to, how should I start? :)
(it's late and I can't even think clearly.)
Thanks so much for your help and advice! :blushing:

Try this:

[tex]2^n=2.2^{n-1}\leq 2(n-1)! [/tex]

I think I figured it out! :blushing:

From my inductive proof, I showed that 2n is less than n! or values of n greater/equal to 4.
So by my inductive proof, I can say that 2n-1 is less/equal to (n-1)! for values of n greater/equal to 5. (which is bold because I want to make sure that statement is correct)

It follows that if I multiply both sides by 2, we have that
2n is less/equal to 2(n-1)! for values of n greater/equal to 5.

That was so cool!

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities, expressing that one quantity is either greater than, less than, or not equal to the other quantity.

How do you prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality, you must show that the statement is true for all possible values of the variables involved. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation, substitution, or other mathematical techniques.

What is the difference between a strict and non-strict inequality?

In a strict inequality, the comparison is either "greater than" or "less than", represented by < or >. In a non-strict inequality, the comparison is either "greater than or equal to" or "less than or equal to", represented by ≤ or ≥.

What are some common methods used to prove inequalities?

There are several common methods used to prove inequalities, including the use of geometric or algebraic proofs, induction, and the use of mathematical theorems and properties.

Why is it important to prove an inequality?

Proving an inequality is important because it allows us to make informed decisions and draw accurate conclusions in various fields such as economics, science, and statistics. It also helps us to better understand the relationships between different quantities and make predictions about their behavior.