Understanding Summation Notation

In summary, the conversation is discussing a function with three indices and the value of each index can be 1, 2, or 3. There will be 27 terms in the sum and it is recommended to work through them by changing the last index first. The first 9 terms would be i,j,k= 1,1,1; 1,1,2; 1,1,3; 1,2,1; 1,2,2; 1,2,3; 1,3,1; 1,3,2; 1,3,3; followed by the same terms with the first number being 2 and then 3. This process may help
y35dp
I know this should be easy and the answer will be glaringly obvious in hindsight but my brain is fried and I can't for the life of me figure this out. My problem is this I have a function as follows;

V = [tex]\sum\lambda[/tex]i,j,k hihjhk (summation over i,j,k where i,j,k = 1,2,3)

I can't work out if this is

V = [tex]\lambda[/tex]1,1,1h13 + [tex]\lambda[/tex]1,1,2h12h2 + ... + [tex]\lambda[/tex]2,3,1h2h3h1 +...

with every permutation of 1, 2 and 3, this should be simple as it is taken as a given in my problem but it is driving me insane.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, what you have so far is correct. And, since there are 3 indices and each can take on 3 values, there will be [itex]3^3= 27[/itex] terms in the sum.
It would help to have a "process" for working through them- I recommend changing the last index through 1, 2, 3, then the next, etc.- just like an odometer turns over in a car.

i,j,k= 1,1,1; 1,1,2; 1,1,3; 1,2,1;1,2,2; 1,2,3; 1,3,1; 1,3,2; 1,3,3;
will be the first 9 terms.
The next 9 will be exactly the same but with first number 2 and the last 9 with first number 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, you may just have rescued my mental health

What is summation notation?

Summation notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of terms. It is denoted by the symbol ∑ and includes an index, a lower and upper limit, and an expression to be summed.

How do you read summation notation?

Summation notation is read as "the sum of" and is followed by the expression to be summed. The index is typically represented by a letter, and the lower and upper limits indicate the starting and ending points of the series.

What is the purpose of summation notation?

The purpose of summation notation is to provide a concise way to represent and calculate the sum of a series of terms. It is often used in mathematics and science to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to work with.

What are the rules for using summation notation?

There are a few rules to keep in mind when using summation notation. The index must be a variable that takes on discrete values, the lower limit must be an integer, and the upper limit must be greater than or equal to the lower limit. Additionally, the expression to be summed must be well-defined.

How do you evaluate a summation using summation notation?

To evaluate a summation, you would substitute the values of the index into the expression and then add them together. For example, if the summation is ∑n=15n, you would evaluate it by substituting n=1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 into the expression and then adding the results together (1+2+3+4+5=15).