A problem of reflected light

In summary, the problem involves calculating the polarisation state and reflected intensity of light with elliptical polarisation moving from a medium with refractive index n1 to a second medium with refractive index n2, using the Fresnel equations. The Jones vector of the reflected light is given by (rA, r'[B exp(-iφ)]), where r and r' are the parallel and perpendicular reflection coefficients, and the phase lag φ can be determined using the expression φ = atan((n2 cos(θ) - n1) / (n2 cos(θ) + n1)).
atomqwerty

Homework Statement

If light with ellyptical polarisation moves from a medium of a given refractive index n1 into a second medium with refractive index n2 (let be I the initial energy of the beam and θ the angle), calculate the polarisation state and the reflected intensity.

Homework Equations

I found relevant the Fresnel equations for this one

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is: if the Jones vector of the light is given by [comma separates rows]: (A , B exp(-iφ)), where i is the imagniary unit and φ the relative phases between x and y (s and p), is the reflected light given by (rA , r'[B exp(-iφ)]) where r and r' are the parallel and perpendicular reflection coefficientes respectively? How can I the determine the phase lag φ introduced?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

Yes, you are correct in using the Fresnel equations for this problem. The reflected light will indeed have a Jones vector of (rA, r'[B exp(-iφ)]), where r and r' are the parallel and perpendicular reflection coefficients, respectively. To determine the phase lag φ, you can use the expression:

φ = atan((n2 cos(θ) - n1) / (n2 cos(θ) + n1))

This expression is derived from the Fresnel equations and takes into account the angle of incidence θ and the refractive indices of the two media.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the problem of reflected light?

The problem of reflected light refers to the phenomenon of light bouncing off of a surface and reaching our eyes. This can cause difficulty in accurately perceiving objects and their colors, as the reflected light may alter their appearance.

2. What causes the problem of reflected light?

The problem of reflected light is caused by the properties of light itself. Light can be reflected off of any surface, including smooth, shiny surfaces like mirrors, or rough, textured surfaces like paper. The angle at which the light hits the surface and the type of surface it hits can affect how much light is reflected and in what direction.

3. How does the problem of reflected light impact our daily lives?

The problem of reflected light can impact our daily lives in various ways. For example, it can make it difficult to accurately judge distances or perceive colors in certain lighting conditions. It can also cause glare on screens or shiny surfaces, which can be distracting or even harmful to our eyes.

4. Can the problem of reflected light be solved?

While it cannot be completely eliminated, there are ways to minimize the impact of reflected light. For example, using polarized sunglasses can reduce glare and improve visual clarity. Additionally, choosing matte or non-reflective surfaces can also help reduce the amount of reflected light.

5. How do scientists study and understand the problem of reflected light?

Scientists use various tools and techniques, such as spectroscopy and photometry, to study and understand the problem of reflected light. These methods allow them to measure and analyze the properties of light, such as its intensity, wavelength, and polarization, which can help explain how and why light behaves the way it does when reflected off of different surfaces.