Projectile, finding landing distance - given landing angle

In summary, the problem involves a skier leaving a ramp with a velocity of 10.7 m/s and an angle of 15.8° above the horizontal. The slope is at an angle of 51.3° and air resistance is negligible. The distance from the ramp to the landing point is calculated using kinematics equations and the slope equation. The final answer is 52.5 m. However, a simpler method is to eliminate time and use the projectile's y(x) graph, resulting in the distance formula D= X/cos(51.3°).
Laura1321412

Homework Statement

A skier leaves the ramp of a ski jump with a velocity of 10.7 m/s, 15.8° above the horizontal. The slope is inclined at 51.3°, and air resistance is negligible. Calculate the distance from the ramp to where the jumper lands.

Homework Equations

Kinematics ones

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed an x-axis along the height of the ramp, and developed equations for the curve of the skier and the line of the slope of the hill..

first, distance to from slope to highest point of jump

vi(y) = sin15.8 *10.7 = 2.9134 /9.8 = t = .29728 , 2.9134 +0 /2 * t = .4331 m

So the y distance of the jumper should equal the distance he has fallen at time (t) +.4331

x = (t+.2972)*cos15.8 *10.7
y= -4.9t^2 +.4331

these are only valid for t> 2.9134 but that shouldn't matter?

sooo tan 51.3 *1 = 1.248 is the slope of the line the x and y distance need to intersect... sloping downard from the angle of the jump so it will be negative

okay , solving for t(x) -->10.296t + 3.06=x , (x-3.06)/10.296= t

plug this into the y distance equation

-4.9 [ (x-3.06)/10.296 ]^2 +.4331

-4.9 [( x^2 -6.12x +9.364)/ 106] +.4331
(-4.9x^2 + 29.99x - 45.88)/106 +.4331
-.0462x^2 + .283x -.00027 = y

now the line it needs to intersect, slope found above, since it originates from the jump which determined as the axis, the equation should by y= -1.238x

equate these equations
-.0462x^2 + .283x -.00027 = -1.238x
-.0462x^2 + 1.52x -.00027 = 0

x= 32.9 m

with this distance the time would be 3.2 s, making the y distance .5*9.8(3.2-.297)^2 = 41.3 -.433 (measured from jump height not from heighest point of projection ) 40.9 m ... the slope of these two distances i pretty close to the desired one (i have rounded messily and a bunch, will redo + fix ...)

so, the total distance down the jump would be sqrt ( x^2 +y ^2 )

= 52.5 m

Im unsure of this answer, i just wanted to know if anyone can see a mistake i made? I really am completley lost as to if i went about solving this correctly. Also, since the slope of the this line is negative, do i report it as a negative distance?

Thank you ! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Laura, your work is correct, although you might made some rounding errors, but you overcomplicated the problem. I understood that you put the origin of the coordinate system at the top of the slope, and the x-axis is horizontal, the y-axis points vertically upward.

The y and x coordinates of the projectile change according to the functions

y(t)=vi sin(α) t-g/2 t^2 , x=vi cos(α) t, where α=15.8°

during the whole flight. No need to calculate the time of rise and the time of fall.

You can eliminate the time and you get the y(x) graph of the projectile.

y=x tan(α)-g/2 x^2/(vi cos(α))^2

The equation for the slope is y=-tan(51.3°)x

Equate the two equations for y and solve for x. You get two roots: one is zero, the initial common point of the slope and skier. The other gives the x coordinate of the landing point. D= X/cos(51.3°) gives the desired distance, which, naturally, has to be positive.ehild

Attachments

• projectile.JPG
    projectile.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 816
Great! Thanks for your tips! that will certianly help from running out time on exams haha

What is a projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

How do you find the landing distance of a projectile?

The landing distance of a projectile can be found using the formula d = (v²sin(2θ))/g, where d is the landing distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the landing angle of a projectile?

The landing angle of a projectile is the angle at which the object lands on the ground. It is typically measured from the horizontal and can be calculated using the inverse tangent function.

What factors affect the landing distance of a projectile?

The landing distance of a projectile is affected by factors such as the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. Air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the landing distance.

How does the landing distance of a projectile change with different angles of launch?

The landing distance of a projectile will change with different angles of launch. Generally, a higher angle of launch will result in a longer landing distance, while a lower angle of launch will result in a shorter landing distance. However, other factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the landing distance.