Calculate Skydiver's Velocity After 2 Seconds with k = 1/2 pCdA

• Thread starter chengbin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of a person who has opened their parachute 2 seconds after reaching terminal velocity. One method involves solving a differential equation, but there may be a simpler way to find the velocity using a shortcut. The proper way to solve the equation is explained, but there may be a differential equation solver that can do the work.
chengbin
If a person has reached terminal velocity (say 50m/s), and he opens his parachute, and I want to find his speed 2 seconds after he opens his parachute, can I do this?

Solve the equation m dv/dt = mg - kv^2 and substitute k with 1/2 pCdA and substitute the value for p, Cd, and A to find velocity?

If I can, can I do this shortcut to simplify work?

The proper way of doing it would be to solve this differential equation m dv/dt = mg - kv^2 given the condition when t = 0, v = 50. But solving that would be a lot of work, and it is easy to make a mistake somewhere as my calculus skills is rusty. I can find a solution for m dv/dt = mg - kv^2 for when t = 0, v = 0 from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity

1ffbd1e8f007cecae13357f5ad624207.png

Substitute my values in, I get a number, let that be x. The velocity of a freefall object with no air resistance after 2 seconds is 9.8(2) = 19.6 m/s. The velocity slowed by drag can be found by 19.6 - x. Then I just do 50 - (19.6 - x) to get my velocity after 2 seconds.

If this doesn't work, is there a differential equation solver that will solve my equation? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't work this way. The expression you have above is the speed as a function of time if the object starts from rest. One needs to go back to the original differential equation and solve it with the initial condition ##v(t=0)=v_0## to get a new expression for ##v(t)##.

The differential equation may be written as ##\frac{dv}{dt}=g-\alpha v^2##. With terminal velocity ##v_T=\sqrt{g/\alpha}##, and after separation of variables, one gets$$\frac{dv}{v_T^2-v^2}=\alpha ~dt$$This can be easily integrated from ##v_0## to ##v## by separating fractions. The result is
$$v(t)=\frac{\frac{v_T+v_0}{v_T-v_0}-\exp(-2 \alpha v_T~t)}{ \frac{v_T+v_0}{v_T-v_0}+\exp(-2 \alpha v_T~t) }v_T.$$You should be able to get your expression from the above equation if you set ##v_0=0## but it's not easy to guess the form of the equation going the other way.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a skydiver after 2 seconds with a given value of k?

The velocity of a skydiver after 2 seconds with a given value of k can be calculated using the formula v = v0 + at, where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and t is the time (2 seconds in this case). The value of k, which represents the coefficient of drag, can be incorporated into the formula as k = 1/2 pCdA, where p is the air density, C is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the skydiver.

2. What is the significance of the value of k in this calculation?

The value of k, which represents the coefficient of drag, is significant as it takes into account the air resistance or drag that affects the velocity of a skydiver. A higher value of k would mean a greater resistance from the air, resulting in a slower descent, while a lower value of k would mean less resistance and a faster descent.

3. How does air density affect the velocity of a skydiver?

Air density affects the velocity of a skydiver because it determines the amount of air molecules that the skydiver will encounter during the descent. A higher air density means more air molecules, resulting in a greater resistance or drag, and therefore a slower descent. Conversely, a lower air density means less air molecules, resulting in less resistance and a faster descent.

4. What is the drag coefficient and how is it determined?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of drag force that an object experiences when moving through a fluid, in this case air. It is determined experimentally by measuring the drag force on an object at different velocities and then calculating the ratio of drag force to the product of air density, cross-sectional area, and velocity squared.

5. How does the cross-sectional area of a skydiver affect their descent velocity?

The cross-sectional area of a skydiver plays a significant role in determining the descent velocity. A larger cross-sectional area means the skydiver will encounter more air molecules, resulting in a higher drag force and a slower descent. Conversely, a smaller cross-sectional area means less drag force and a faster descent. This is why skydivers typically spread their limbs and use a parachute to increase their cross-sectional area and slow their descent.