Water Restrictor in Radiator Hose: Cool Down or Heat Up?

• Thread starter vector22
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a physics question about the effects of placing a water restrictor in the top radiator hose of a car engine. It was noted that this action would reduce the effectiveness of the cooling system and potentially increase the engine temperature. The impact on the engine and cooling system would depend on various factors and could potentially cause damage. The conversation also touched upon the attitudes and rules of the forum, with a reminder that participation is not mandatory.
vector22
You would not lock threads where i tried my best to put my point of view. I,m not a crack pot

OK let's argue about something that I actually have experience with. You all seem to be terribly set in your ways in fact a bit too arrogant for my liking

So the question is : If you put a water restrictor in the top radiator hose of a car engine, will the engine cool down or heat up?

That was a valid physics question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drop the attitude, you agreed to the rules on sign up. If you don't like them go elsewhere.

You would reduce the effectiveness of the cooling system and the engine temperature would increase.

EDIT: I suppose you'd also increase cooling within the radiator itself, giving cooler fluid moving into the engine. So we'd need to know how much cooler it would become and compare this with the thermal efficiency of the coolant to see if it could draw off the required amount of heat whilst traveling through the engine.

If it's cool enough and can draw off the heat well enough it could cool the engine more, if the additional cooling isn't enough or it can't draw off the heat then the engine temperature could increase.

I think it would depend on the engine and cooling system.

You may even damage the pumping system.

Also, it's "If you're so smart".

Last edited:
vector22 said:
You would not lock threads where i tried my best to put my point of view. I,m not a crack pot

OK let's argue about something that I actually have experience with. You all seem to be terribly set in your ways in fact a bit too arrogant for my liking

So the question is : If you put a water restrictor in the top radiator hose of a car engine, will the engine cool down or heat up?

That was a valid physics question.

So it isn't to your liking here? Taking part in this forum isn't compulsory. There are plenty of car mechanics' fora elsewhere.

In before the lock.

jarednjames said:
Also, it's "If you're so smart"

If there was a definition of ownage, this would be it.

1. What is a water restrictor in a radiator hose?

A water restrictor in a radiator hose is a small device that limits the flow of coolant through the hose. It is typically made of plastic and is inserted into the hose to regulate the amount of coolant that enters the engine.

2. How does a water restrictor affect the cooling system?

A water restrictor can either cool down or heat up the engine, depending on its placement. If it is placed before the thermostat, it will allow less coolant to circulate through the engine, resulting in a cooler engine temperature. If it is placed after the thermostat, it will limit the amount of heated coolant that reaches the radiator, resulting in a hotter engine temperature.

3. When should a water restrictor be used?

A water restrictor is typically used in high-performance or racing engines to help regulate the engine temperature and prevent overheating. It may also be used in engines that have been modified for increased horsepower, as these engines may generate more heat and require additional cooling measures.

4. What are the potential benefits of using a water restrictor?

The main benefit of using a water restrictor is that it allows for more precise control of the engine temperature. This can help prevent overheating and improve overall engine performance. Additionally, a water restrictor may also help reduce the weight of the cooling system and improve the flow of coolant.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a water restrictor?

One potential drawback of using a water restrictor is that it may reduce the overall flow of coolant through the engine, which could potentially lead to decreased cooling efficiency. Additionally, if the restrictor is not properly sized or placed, it may cause engine damage or failure. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs of your engine before using a water restrictor.