Is an Intercooler Worth It for Naturally Aspirated Engines?

• Thread starter Camron201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary: I'll stick to my refrigeration unit.In summary, an intercooler would not be beneficial on a naturally aspirated car because the air doesn't heat up that much between inlet and inlet manifold. A refrigeration system may be more costly and difficult to install, but would be more beneficial.
They also say:

"Water or water/alcohol/methanol does not make power...superchargers and turbochargers make power. The cooling effect of the water injection only allows you to run higher boost pressures and leaner mixtures without engine damage. The increased density or higher pressure ratio is what makes the power, not the water."

Unless the compression ratio is too high for the fuel, I don't see this helping much. Any advantage to be gained from water vapourization could be realized by using more fuel, which is legal and already on the bike.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mender said:
They also say:

"Water or water/alcohol/methanol does not make power...superchargers and turbochargers make power. The cooling effect of the water injection only allows you to run higher boost pressures and leaner mixtures without engine damage. The increased density or higher pressure ratio is what makes the power, not the water."

Unless the compression ratio is too high for the fuel, I don't see this helping much. Any advantage to be gained from water vapourization could be realized by using more fuel, which is legal and already on the bike.

Of course, using water alone, at ambient temperature will have little or no effect on power. If the water is colder than ambient temperature, it will cool the air and increase its density. But the real cooling effect is inside the cylinder, when the water changes phase under compression. To get the most out the water injection on NA engines, you have to increase the CR or advance the timing which, just like higher boost, makes more power.

jack action said:
... advance the timing which, just like higher boost, makes more power.
If the fuel is compatible with the compression ratio, timing should already be optimized. Advancing or retarding it from MBT will reduce power.

Thanks for your Ideas and info. I will experiment with a few of these Ideas. If any thing seems to work well I will get some Dyno runs and pics up on here.

xxChrisxx said:
The power gain from cooler air alone isn't that much (due to temperature), the majority gains come from the increased density of cooler air allowing you to burn more fuel.

The reason why intercoolers are used on forced induction motors is becuse the compressing process increases the temperature of the air (decreasing density) the intercooler then brings this temerature down (increasing density).

There wouldn't really be any gains from an intercooler on a naturally aspirated engine because the air doesn't really heat up that much between inlet and inlet manifold. For a N/A engine a ducted cold air intake would do more.

You nailed it. This can probably only help with super/turbo charged engines