How Can You Solve the Equation (U2-U1)=259.2(U2*U1) with Two Unknowns?

• Thread starter skaboy607
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a single equation with two unknowns and the use of an iterative process to solve it. The value of interest is the difference between the two unknowns, and it is suggested to solve for the ratio of the unknowns instead. The equation is thought to represent drag, and the constant 259.2 comes from delta t. The ratio U2/U1 can represent the decrease in speed, and it is possible to solve for either U2 or U1 using the other.
skaboy607
Hi

I have the following equation:

(U2-U1)=259.2(U2*U1)

Both U1 and U2 are unknowns. Its been suggested to use an iterative process like Newton Raphson to solve but all examples using this technique are only for one unknown.

(U2-U1) is the value of interest.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have 1 equation with 2 unknowns.
There is no single solution for that.

If you want a solution, you can take U1=0 and U2=0.

The set of all solutions is a hyperbola.

Sometimes it is possible to solve these types of equation if we know what U1 and U2 refer to.

For instance if they are sides of a rectangle and there is some area restriction.

Another case (coupled chemical reactions) is solved in posts 57 - 61 of this thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=398208&highlight=seawater

go well

skaboy607 said:
(U2-U1) is the value of interest.

Thanks

I don't see a way to solve for the difference between the variables, but you can solve for the ratio of them U2/U1.

U2/U1-U1/U2=259.2

Let x=U2/U1

x-1/x=259.2

x^2-259.2x-1=0

Now you can solve the quadratic.

Last edited:
Its an equation for drag that has been reduced to its current format. The constant 259.2 comes from the delta t. I need to find how much the speed drops by, i.e. delta U.

skaboy607 said:
I need to find how much the speed drops by, i.e. delta U.

The ratio U2/U1 could be considered a measure of how much the speed drops by. And, once you know one value (either U2 or U1) you can calculate the other and identify U2-U1.

1. How do I solve the equation (U2-U1)=259.2(U2*U1)?

To solve this equation, you can start by simplifying the right side. Distribute the 259.2 to both U2 and U1, giving you 259.2U2-259.2U1. This can then be rearranged to form a quadratic equation, (259.2-1)U2^2 + (259.2+1)U1^2 = 0. From here, you can use the quadratic formula to solve for U2 and U1.

2. Can I solve (U2-U1)=259.2(U2*U1) using substitution?

Yes, you can use substitution to solve this equation. Rearrange the equation to get U2-U1=259.2U2*U1. Then, solve for U2 in terms of U1 by dividing both sides by U1. Substitute this value of U2 into the original equation and solve for U1.

3. Is there more than one solution to the equation (U2-U1)=259.2(U2*U1)?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions to this equation. The number of solutions will depend on the values of U2 and U1. If U2 and U1 are both positive, there will be two solutions. If U2 and U1 are both negative, there will be no solutions. If one is positive and one is negative, there will be one solution.

4. How do I know if my solution to (U2-U1)=259.2(U2*U1) is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the values of U2 and U1 into the original equation and see if it holds true. If it does, then your solution is correct. You can also graph the equation and see if the coordinates of your solution point lie on the graph.

5. Can I solve (U2-U1)=259.2(U2*U1) without using algebraic methods?

No, algebraic methods are necessary to solve this equation. Substitution and the quadratic formula both involve algebraic manipulations to find the solutions. However, you can use a graphing calculator or online solver to find the solutions without having to solve it manually.