Vectors in the same and opposite direction

In summary, to determine whether two vectors are in the same or opposite direction, you can use the dot product formula. A positive dot product indicates same direction, a negative dot product indicates opposite direction, and a dot product of zero indicates perpendicularity. Using this method, we can determine that V3 and V5 are in opposite directions, and V4 and V6 are in the same direction.
sohail queshi

Homework Statement

which of the vector

V1=(1,2) , V2= (0,1) , V3= (-2,-4) , V4= (-2,1) , V5= (2,4) , V6= (-6,3) are

a) in the same direction
b) in the opposite direction

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried as follow...
i draw these two vectors on the plan [ (-2,-4) and (2,4)] it gives opposite direction , but i m not conform whether my attempt is right or not...so please help me ..as quick as possible , coz this is my assignment question...tnx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

To determine whether two vectors are in the same or opposite direction, you can use the dot product formula. The dot product of two vectors, V1 and V2, is given by V1∙V2 = |V1||V2|cosθ, where θ is the angle between the two vectors.

If the dot product is positive, then the vectors are in the same direction. If it is negative, then they are in the opposite direction. If it is zero, then the vectors are perpendicular.

Using this formula, you can calculate the dot products for V1 and V2, V1 and V3, V1 and V4, V1 and V5, and V1 and V6. If the dot product is positive, then the vectors are in the same direction. If it is negative, then they are in the opposite direction. From your attempt, it seems like you have correctly determined that V3 and V5 are in opposite directions, and V4 and V6 are in the same direction.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What are vectors in the same direction?

Vectors in the same direction are vectors that have the same magnitude and direction. This means that if they were drawn as arrows, they would point in the same direction and have the same length.

What are vectors in the opposite direction?

Vectors in the opposite direction are vectors that have the same magnitude but point in the opposite direction. This means that if they were drawn as arrows, they would point in opposite directions but have the same length.

How do you add vectors in the same direction?

To add vectors in the same direction, simply add their magnitudes. This means that if the first vector has a magnitude of 5 and the second vector has a magnitude of 3, the resulting vector will have a magnitude of 8.

How do you subtract vectors in the same direction?

To subtract vectors in the same direction, simply subtract their magnitudes. This means that if the first vector has a magnitude of 5 and the second vector has a magnitude of 3, the resulting vector will have a magnitude of 2.

How do you add or subtract vectors in the opposite direction?

To add or subtract vectors in the opposite direction, simply add or subtract their magnitudes but keep in mind the direction. This means that if the first vector has a magnitude of 5 and the second vector has a magnitude of 3, the resulting vector will have a magnitude of 2 if they are in opposite directions, but a magnitude of 8 if they are in the same direction.