How to study this kind of flow ?

• Thread starter maxx_payne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Study
In summary, the conversation discusses how to study the flow of water from an upper volume to a lower one. They mention using the Navier-Stokes equations, conservation of mass and energy, and Cartesian coordinates to analyze the flow. The speaker also mentions using the orifice principle but is unsure if it would provide the same result as the Navier-Stokes equations.
maxx_payne
how to study this kind of flow ??

how will the water flow from the upper volume to the second one ??

Attachments

• dddddd.gif
    dddddd.gif
    2 KB · Views: 470
Engineering news on Phys.org

umm...Downward? Could you be more specific?

my friend i mean which theory will be presentable to study the flow from up to the bottom ??

The same theory that covers any other fluid flow problem: the Navier-Stokes equations, conservation of mass and energy...

boneh3ad i know the NSE can be applied to all systems on the Earth but here how can we apply it ?? in cartisian co-ord. or we will use the polar co-ord. and in the redius direction or in the angel direction i think its complicated , i have studied this case and get an equation for flow using the orifice principle , but i don't know if navier stokes will give the same result or not ?? your reply will be appreciated

You could use any coordinate system you want and it would give the same answer. That is the beauty of physics like this. Some just make it easier than others. You would have to do Cartesian coordinates here to make it easiest unless you came up with your own system. Exactly what you would do would depend on what you want, and you haven't told us that.

1. How do I identify the type of flow I am studying?

The type of flow can be identified by observing the behavior of the fluid. For example, if the fluid is moving in a straight line and at a constant velocity, it is considered laminar flow. If the fluid is turbulent and chaotic, it is considered turbulent flow. Other types of flow include transitional, rotational, and irrotational flow.

2. What are the key variables to measure in this type of flow?

The key variables to measure in a flow depend on the type of flow being studied. For laminar flow, key variables may include velocity, pressure, and viscosity. For turbulent flow, key variables may include turbulence intensity, Reynolds number, and eddy viscosity.

3. How can I control and manipulate this type of flow in an experiment?

Controlling and manipulating flow can be achieved through various techniques such as using different flow rates, changing the shape of the object in the flow, and altering the properties of the fluid. Additionally, specialized equipment such as flow control devices and flow visualization techniques can be used to manipulate and study flow in experiments.

4. What are the common challenges in studying this type of flow?

One of the common challenges in studying flow is accurately measuring and controlling the variables involved. This can be due to the complexity of the flow and the limitations of experimental techniques. Another challenge is developing accurate mathematical models to describe and predict the behavior of the flow.

5. What are the practical applications of studying this type of flow?

The study of flow has various practical applications in fields such as aerospace, civil engineering, and medicine. Understanding flow behavior can help in the design and optimization of structures, vehicles, and medical devices. It can also aid in predicting and managing environmental impacts, such as air and water pollution, caused by fluid flow.