Why Zn + Vinegar Gas Collecting Setup Cannot be Used for Preparing H2

• Thread starter apchemstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the setup for preparing H2 using Zn + vinegar is not suitable because the generator is improper and must be heated with a burner. Additionally, the delivery tube setup is incorrect and the gas cannot be collected over water due to the natural tendency of hydrogen to rise and the water pressure pushing back on it.
apchemstudent
Why could you not use this setup for preparing H2 if the generator contained Zn + vinegar? It's in the attachment.

a) hydrgoen would not be produced.
b) the setup of the generator is improper.
c) the generator must be heated with a burner.
d) the delivery tube setup is wrong.
e) the gas cannot be collected over water.

Again please help. I think the answer is either b) or d)... but I'm not sure... thanks

Attachments

• Gas collecting setup.jpg
    Gas collecting setup.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 552
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think it is (B), or possibly (D).

2 reasons for thinking this.
-1. if you look at the height that the gas comes out at the top of the bottle and up the tube before it slants over, this is higher than (or about equal to) the top of the bottle that it is collected in.
that is kinda like trying to cyphun a liquid up to a higher spot than it was originally, it won't ever go higher than it starts at, or in this case lower since hydrogen has a natural tendency to go up.

-2. my second reason in thinking (B) is that I have tried something similar to this myself in real life, and even with the collection bottle higher than everything else and trying to get the tube as striaght and easy for the gas to pass through, it would not work. I think it has something to with the water pressure pushing back on the hydrogen more than it wanted to go up, so in the end I never got any hydrogen in my collection bottle, and over the course of several hours, the hydrogen traveled a gran total of a few inches through the tube and then stopped and wouldn't move any more.

The correct answer is d) the delivery tube setup is wrong.

The Zn + vinegar gas collecting setup is not suitable for preparing H2 because the delivery tube setup is incorrect. In order for hydrogen gas to be produced, the zinc metal must react with the acid in the vinegar. However, in this setup, the delivery tube is not positioned properly to allow the gas to be collected. This means that the gas cannot be collected and therefore, the setup is not suitable for preparing H2. Additionally, the gas cannot be collected over water because hydrogen gas is highly flammable and can pose a safety hazard if collected over water. Therefore, the setup must be modified to ensure proper collection of the gas and to ensure safety.

1. Why can't the Zn + Vinegar Gas Collecting Setup be used for preparing H2?

The Zn + Vinegar Gas Collecting Setup cannot be used for preparing H2 because the reaction between zinc (Zn) and vinegar (acetic acid) does not produce pure hydrogen gas (H2). Instead, it produces a mixture of gases, including carbon dioxide (CO2) and hydrogen gas. This is due to the fact that vinegar contains impurities and other compounds that can react with the zinc and alter the desired reaction.

2. What happens when zinc and vinegar are mixed together?

When zinc and vinegar are mixed together, a chemical reaction occurs where the zinc reacts with the acetic acid in the vinegar to produce hydrogen gas and a zinc acetate compound. This reaction also produces heat and can be seen as bubbles forming in the solution.

3. Can the Zn + Vinegar Gas Collecting Setup be used for any other experiments?

Yes, the Zn + Vinegar Gas Collecting Setup can be used for other experiments that do not require pure hydrogen gas. This setup can be used to demonstrate the production of a gas through a chemical reaction, but it is not suitable for experiments that require precise amounts or purity of hydrogen gas.

4. How can I prepare pure hydrogen gas for experiments?

To prepare pure hydrogen gas for experiments, you will need to use a different method such as electrolysis or the reaction between hydrochloric acid and zinc. These methods will produce pure hydrogen gas without any impurities or other gases.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using the Zn + Vinegar Gas Collecting Setup?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to take when using the Zn + Vinegar Gas Collecting Setup. Make sure to wear protective gear such as goggles and gloves, as the reaction can produce heat and splashing liquid. Also, make sure to use the setup in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any gases produced during the reaction.