I can't afford University yet, prep suggestions please

In summary, I attended a certain engineering school in Philly for 4 years switching from Computer Science to software engineering to not going there anymore. I have attained an AS (wahoo!) in info systems. I know that's relatively useless other than the C++ training. I don't enjoy this kind of work and I also live in NE where there is little work in this field. I discovered physics after reading every Kaku, Green, Hawking... book I could find after leaving college. The concepts are pretty clear to me with minor questions but it's the mathematics I need to study. However, I do not have the ability to pay for school just yet. I have worked out a deal with some family members who will help me if
sacred_bovine
I attended a certain engineering school in Philly for 4 years switching from Computer Science to software engineering to not going there anymore. I have attained an AS (wahoo!) in info systems. I know that's relatively useless other than the C++ training. I don't enjoy this kind of work and I also live in NE where there is little work in this field.

I discovered physics after reading every Kaku, Green, Hawking... book I could find after leaving college. The concepts are pretty clear to me with minor questions but it's the mathematics I need to study. However, I do not have the ability to pay for school just yet. I have worked out a deal with some family members who will help me if I can show them that this is my life calling. Before you ask, it is. I now have to get myself moving in the right direction to prove I'm a worthy investment.

I'm asking any professionals or professors for suggestions on how to teach myself (A daunting task after attempting to teach myself discrete math). I understand a good textbook will help and I have:
1: Calculus: Early Transcendentals 8th edition -Howard Anton, Irl Bivens, Stephen Davis
This was my calc book at Drexel and made it up through the Taylor series but it was a while ago which brings me to
2: Forgotten Calculus 3rd edition - Barbara Lee Bleau as more of a reference.
3: Discrete Mathematics with Graph Theory 3rd ed -Edgar G. Goodaire and Michael M. Parmenter
4:Principles of Physics : A calculus-based text 4th - Serway and Jewett (It may have been a Drexel U only book)

My concern is that when I get stuck, I lack the support of a professor or TAs.

What would be a good approach for me to start prepping myself for my return to the academic world?

Words can not express my gratitude for any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I highly recommend using MIT's online course materials. You can view lectures and then work on assignments and practice exams. This will help you when it comes to solving technical problems.

In terms of actually understanding physics...Well, you need to keep your mind open to learning new concepts. All I'm trying to say is if this is your calling, the rest will follow (you just have to put in the effort).

I was unaware they had that available. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

This may sound like a stupid suggestion, but youtube is amazing for math help. Whenever I was stuck on a concept throughout Calc 1 -> 3, I would search for someone who would explain the concept in a video. Often times if you find someone you like, they have a website dedicated to math tutorials as well.

One of my favorite people to go to for help is http://www.youtube.com/user/patrickJMT. He also has a website solely for his math tutorials.

I'm sure that's not what you were looking for, but that's how I managed when I was stuck.

Khanacademy.com can get you up to speed in the areas of algebra and trigonometry. MIT opencourseware has an excellent Calculus I-III program, with worksheets and problem sets that you should do. You can't go wrong studying ahead in mathematics unless you use it as an excuse to slack off in another course.

At any rate, you probably live near a college of some sort, and that college probably has a tutoring center which is free for students. If they aren't checking your ID, use it! Studying mathematics at your own pace can be a great experience that allows you to fully understand the topics and ask questions about the theory, rather than just remembering how to do problems and memorizing formulas for a test. I'm always way ahead in my classes, and I have seen remarkable results.

If you get stuck on a concept or problem, you can always make a post on this forum as well

Woopydalan said:
If you get stuck on a concept or problem, you can always make a post on this forum as well

Yes! Where else can you find the kind of insight, experience, and knowledge anywhere else on the internet. :)

These are all great suggestions everybody. Thank you.

1. How can I afford to go to University if I don't have enough money?

There are a few options for financing your education. You can apply for scholarships, grants, or student loans. You can also look into part-time jobs or work-study programs to help cover the costs.

2. What are some ways I can prepare for University while saving money?

One way to prepare for University while saving money is to take courses at a community college or online. These options are often more affordable than traditional universities and can transfer credits to your desired university. You can also look for free resources and online courses to enhance your knowledge in your chosen field of study.

3. How can I make the most of my University experience while on a budget?

There are many ways to make the most of your University experience while on a budget. You can look for discounts on textbooks or consider renting them instead of buying. Joining clubs and organizations is also a great way to participate in activities and events without spending a lot of money. Additionally, you can look for part-time jobs on campus that offer flexible hours.

4. What are some tips for managing my finances while in University?

It's important to create a budget and stick to it while in University. This can help you keep track of your expenses and make sure you have enough money for essentials. You can also look for ways to save money, such as cooking at home instead of eating out and using public transportation instead of owning a car.

5. Is it worth going to University if I can't afford it?

While the cost of University can be daunting, it's important to remember that investing in your education can lead to better job opportunities and higher earning potential in the future. You can also look into financial aid options and work on creating a budget to make University more affordable. It's ultimately a personal decision, but it's important to consider the long-term benefits of a higher education.