Centrifugal Force Homework: Relationship to Radius?

In summary, the conversation was about the relationship between centrifugal force and radius. The correct equation for centrifugal force was discussed, and it was clarified that there are two forms of the equation, depending on the problem being solved. It was also noted that the textbook had an incorrect form of the equation.
nobleman

Homework Statement

Hi,
I am confused about the relationship between the centrifugal force and radius.
The centrifugal force equation for an object having constant mass and angular velocity moving around the Earth on GRS80 reference is Fc = m w^2/r (m=mass, w^2=angular velocity of the earth, r=earth's radius)
From this equation, the centrifugal force would have an inverse proportion to the Earth's radius, but logically as the radius decreases the centrifugal force would decrease until we reach the center which no force would be there.
Can anyone explain this issue and how the graph in this case would be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nobleman said:

Homework Statement

Hi,
I am confused about the relationship between the centrifugal force and radius.
The centrifugal force equation for an object having constant mass and angular velocity moving around the Earth on GRS80 reference is Fc = m w^2/r (m=mass, w^2=angular velocity of the earth, r=earth's radius)
From this equation, the centrifugal force would have an inverse proportion to the Earth's radius, but logically as the radius decreases the centrifugal force would decrease until we reach the center which no force would be there.
Can anyone explain this issue and how the graph in this case would be?

Welcome to the PF.

Re-check your equation -- I think you got the "r" in the wrong place... :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force

Thanks berkeman for your quick response, and it seems logical if r would be in the numerator, but I double checked the formula in the textbook and it is as I wrote
Please check these also
http://phun.physics.virginia.edu/topics/centrifugal.html
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/centripetal-acceleration-d_1285.html
I am still confused :confused:

nobleman said:
Thanks berkeman for your quick response, and it seems logical if r would be in the numerator, but I double checked the formula in the textbook and it is as I wrote
Please check these also
http://phun.physics.virginia.edu/topics/centrifugal.html
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/centripetal-acceleration-d_1285.html
I am still confused :confused:

You're mixing up the two forms of the equation:

[tex] F_c = \frac{mv^2}{r} = m {\omega}^2 r [/tex]

These are the two forms that you can use -- which you choose depends on the problem at hand. They are equivilant because

[tex]v = \omega r[/tex]
The wikipedia link that I posted earlier has the formulas correct.

I believe you are absolutely right and I am really mixing up between the two equations. The textbook is wrong though by putting the formula form in the way I wrote at first and that's why I had this confusion in the first place.
Thank you so much for clearing this out

1. What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects moving in a circular path. It is caused by the object's inertia trying to keep it moving in a straight line while it is being forced to move in a circular path.

2. How is centrifugal force related to radius?

The centrifugal force is directly proportional to the square of the object's velocity and inversely proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that as the radius increases, the centrifugal force decreases.

3. Why does the centrifugal force decrease with increasing radius?

As the radius increases, the object has to travel a greater distance in the same amount of time to complete one revolution. This means the object's velocity decreases, resulting in a decrease in the centrifugal force.

4. How does the mass of the object affect centrifugal force?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the centrifugal force. However, a heavier object will require a larger centripetal force to keep it moving in a circular path, which in turn will result in a larger centrifugal force.

5. Can centrifugal force be greater than centripetal force?

No, centrifugal force cannot be greater than centripetal force. Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, and it is always equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the centrifugal force. If the centrifugal force were to exceed the centripetal force, the object would fly off in a straight line instead of staying in its circular path.