Torque required to stop wheel in 41.2s?

In summary, the moment of inertia of a ten pound car wheel is .35 kgm^2 and while rotating at a constant speed, it makes 87.61 revolutions in 5.42 seconds. To stop the wheel in 41.2 seconds, a torque of -.8675 Nm is required.
03sto

Homework Statement

A ten pound car wheel has a moment of inertia of .35 kgm^2. While rotating at a constant speed the wheel makes 87.61 revolutions in 5.42s. How much torque is required to stop the wheel in 41.2 s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

87.61rev/5.42sec = 16.164 rev/sec x 2pi = 101.56 rad/s / 41.2 sec = 2.465 rad/s^2
t= .35 kgm^2 x -.2.465 = -.8675 m x n?

not sure how relevant all of the steps i did are but that is where i stopped... any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi 03sto! welcome to pf! :wink:

yes, that looks ok :smile: (except, "m x n" should be "Nm" or "N.m")

what is worrying you about it? :confused:

Okay thanks for the feedback, i just figured i did it completely wrong haha. Thanks and yes i will switch the mn to nm. Thanks!

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied on an object, causing it to rotate around an axis.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied on an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

3. Is the torque required to stop a wheel the same as the torque required to start it?

No, the torque required to stop a wheel is generally greater than the torque required to start it. This is because stopping a wheel involves overcoming its rotational inertia, while starting it only involves overcoming friction and any initial resistance.

4. What factors affect the torque required to stop a wheel?

The torque required to stop a wheel depends on factors such as the mass and size of the wheel, the speed at which it is rotating, and the amount of friction between the wheel and its axis of rotation.

5. How can I calculate the torque required to stop a wheel in a specific time period?

To calculate the torque required to stop a wheel in a specific time period, you would need to know the mass and size of the wheel, the initial speed at which it is rotating, and the amount of friction present. Using these values, you can apply the formula for torque and solve for the required torque. Additionally, factors like air resistance and any external forces acting on the wheel may also need to be taken into account.