Calculating Maximum Kinetic Energy of Ejected Electrons After Wavelength Doubles

In summary, if the wavelength of the incident photons is doubled, the maximum kinetic energy of the ejected electrons will be four times what it was before.
stacker

Homework Statement

Photons of energy 12 eV are incident on a metal. It is found that current flows from the metal until a stopping potential of 8.0 V is applied.
If the wavelength of the incident photons is doubled, what is the maximum kinetic energy of the ejected electrons?

Homework Equations

I am absolutely clueless. I feel like I'm supposed to use KE = hf - W but how am I supposed to know the frequency if it isn't given? So I don't think I'm supposed to use this one.
Please just lead me towards the right direction. I don't have a clue as to which equation to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is gibberish to me and I don't know how to even approach it. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Fair enough, did you look at the third link on Google? The Yahoo Answer one?

JameB said:
Fair enough, did you look at the third link on Google? The Yahoo Answer one?

Yes but it doesn't say how you get wavelength. Although E = hf and f = c/wavelength.
E = h(c/wavelength). In which case what is E?

It does. What that person did was used the relevant equations and formulated an equation that related the wavelength to the maximum energy.

Ekmax = (h×c/λ) - (e×Vs-E)

Now plug in the data you know, and use two variables for the wavelength and solve for the ratio.

1. How is maximum kinetic energy of ejected electrons calculated?

The maximum kinetic energy of ejected electrons can be calculated by using the equation Ek = hc/λ, where Ek is the maximum kinetic energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength.

2. What is the significance of doubling the wavelength in this calculation?

Doubling the wavelength in the calculation changes the frequency of the incident light, which in turn affects the energy of the photons. This results in a change in the kinetic energy of the ejected electrons.

3. Can the maximum kinetic energy of ejected electrons ever be negative?

No, the maximum kinetic energy of ejected electrons cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as the electrons gain energy from the incident light and are ejected from the surface of the material.

4. How does the material of the surface affect the maximum kinetic energy of ejected electrons?

The material of the surface can affect the maximum kinetic energy of ejected electrons by changing the work function, which is the minimum energy required for an electron to be ejected from the material. Different materials have different work functions, which can impact the maximum kinetic energy of ejected electrons.

5. Is the calculation for maximum kinetic energy of ejected electrons only applicable to certain types of light?

No, the calculation for maximum kinetic energy of ejected electrons is applicable to any type of light, including visible light, ultraviolet light, and x-rays. The only requirement is that the incident light has a wavelength that can be measured.