Choosing a Robotic Arm for an Electric Engineering Project

In summary, the individual is an electric engineering student who is looking to initiate a project to control a robotic arm. They are considering using the OWI-535 EDGE robotic arm, but are concerned about the difficulty of implementing a position control with its DC motors. They are seeking advice on a small and inexpensive robotic arm that can be purchased online and shipped to their location in Brazil. They mention potential components for the project, including a C-Control Robot System, an Arduino Mega microcontroller, and various software and motor control components.
ffp
Hi, I'm an electric engineering student and I'm want to initiate a project to control a robotic arm. But i must first choose which arm i will work on and where to buy it.
I want to make a position control, so i will need a feedback of the actual position of the arm. The control will be made with a arduino microcontroler.
I was thinking in the OWI-535 EDGE robotic arm, since it's cheap and small, but i saw on internet that it uses DC motors, and a position control will be very hard to make.
So i think i'll use a servo motor robotic arm.
I want your help to choose a robotic arm that's not very expensive and it's small. Also any advice is welcome.
Since i live in Brazil, i need to buy it on internet in a store or site (ebay) that ships to my country.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry that I can't help you with this, Ffp. Any time that I need something, I build it myself, and I use DC exclusively. (I've never had computer control, though, so that probably makes a big difference.) You can use sliding pots for position sensing, or go with strain gauges or nicked fibre optics. Theoretically, it should be cheaper to build your own, but that might not apply in your area based upon availability of parts.

Saw this on youtube:

C-Control Robot System Fahrgestell Robby RP5/RP6
Playtastic Baukasten "Roboter-Arm"
Arduino Mega - Microcontroller ATmega1280
Arduino I/O Expansion Shield
Arduino APC220 Hochfrequenzmodul
Motorsteuer-IC ST Microelectronics L 293 D Channel Motor-Driver
Software: Arduino, Processing

http://youtu.be/AdYiPQ80Pvc

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a robotic arm for my electric engineering project?

When choosing a robotic arm for an electric engineering project, there are several important factors to consider. These include the size and weight of the objects the arm will need to manipulate, the degree of precision required for the project, the range of motion needed, the type of control system, and the budget for the project.

2. What type of control system is best for a robotic arm in an electric engineering project?

The type of control system for a robotic arm will depend on the specific needs of the project. Some common control systems include manual control, where the arm is operated by a person using a joystick or other input device, and automatic control, where the arm is programmed to perform specific tasks on its own. For more complex projects, a combination of both manual and automatic control may be needed.

3. How important is the range of motion for a robotic arm in an electric engineering project?

The range of motion is a crucial factor to consider when choosing a robotic arm for an electric engineering project. The arm should be able to move in all necessary directions and have the flexibility to reach different points within its workspace. The range of motion will also affect the precision and accuracy of the arm, so it is important to choose a model that meets the specific needs of the project.

4. What are some common applications for robotic arms in electric engineering projects?

Robotic arms are commonly used in electric engineering projects for tasks such as assembly, soldering, testing, and packaging. They can also be used for tasks that are hazardous or difficult for humans to perform, such as working with high-voltage equipment or in environments with extreme temperatures.

5. How does the cost of a robotic arm affect its performance in an electric engineering project?

The cost of a robotic arm can vary greatly depending on its size, capabilities, and control system. While a more expensive arm may have advanced features and greater precision, a lower-cost arm may still be suitable for many electric engineering projects. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs of the project and choose a robotic arm that offers the best balance of performance and cost.