Can chemical engineers work in aerospace?

In summary, the individual is currently studying chemical engineering but has always been interested in space exploration. However, since aerospace engineering is not offered in their country, they are wondering if they can still work for agencies like ESA with a chemical engineering degree. They are considering switching their degree to engineering physics or mechanical engineering. They also mention the possibility of taking optional classes and studying abroad to make their chemical engineering degree more aerospace-oriented. They are advised to gain practical experiences through internships and note that there are chemists working in aerospace, but not as many compared to other engineering disciplines. A degree in aerospace engineering is not a necessary requirement to work in the industry.
Nikitin
So I've well into my first year at university, but I have been having doubts about my degree already.. It seems like I never thought about what I REALLY wanted to do during high school. So due to me enjoying a mix of physics, chemistry and math, I chose ChemE..

However, I've always been fascinated with space exploration, astronomy, rocketry etc. It's been like this since I was a kid (not unusual?), but I didn't choose aerospace engineering because they don't offer it in my country. So would it be possible for me to work for agencies like ESA etc. and contribute to space exploration, while having a degree in chemical engineering? I was thinking having a chemE around when you design rocket engines and life support systems could be handy.. But may I be wrong, and thus should switch my degree to engineering physics or mechanical engineering or something next year?

Edit: It is possible for me to pick optional classes during my third, fourth and fifth year (my degree is a 5-year MSc), and even travel abroad to study in my fourth or final year. This could make my chemE degree more aeorspace oriented, no?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:
So I've well into my first year at university, but I have been having doubts about my degree already.. It seems like I never thought about what I REALLY wanted to do during high school. So due to me enjoying a mix of physics, chemistry and math, I chose ChemE..

That's very natural. This will undoubtedly be the case for many other students. It's really difficult to aim for a career at the start of your undergraduate course and be able to follow through with the plan accordingly. There will be chnages to your values and ambitions - that's a part of life.

Nikitin said:
However, I've always been fascinated with space exploration, astronomy, rocketry etc. It's been like this since I was a kid (not unusual?),

Some people are fascinated by such dreams, indeed! But not most teenagers, I guess!

Nikitin said:
but I didn't choose aerospace engineering because they don't offer it in my country. So would it be possible for me to work for agencies like ESA etc. and contribute to space exploration, while having a degree in chemical engineering? I am thinking having a chemE around when you design rocket engines and life support systems could be handy... Or is it nonsense, and should I switch my degree to engineering physics or mechanical or something next year?

Edit: It is possible for me to pick optional classes during my third, fourth and fifth year (my degree is a 5-year MSc), and even travel abroad to study in my fourth or final year.

I can only say that whatever you do, you must have practical experiences by your side, for example, internship experiences during the summer, etc.

There are chemists working in aerospace on things like combustion or developing new materials - but not many compared with other engineering disciplines.

There are plenty of mech and electrical engineers working in aerospace. A degree in aerospace engineering isn't a necessariy requirement to work in the industry.

1. Can chemical engineers work in the aerospace industry?

Yes, chemical engineers can work in the aerospace industry. While aerospace engineering is a specialized field, chemical engineers can contribute their knowledge and skills in areas such as materials science, fluid dynamics, and process control.

2. What kind of work can a chemical engineer do in aerospace?

Chemical engineers can work in a variety of roles in the aerospace industry, including designing and testing materials for use in spacecraft and aircraft, developing propulsion systems, and optimizing processes for fuel production and usage.

3. Do chemical engineers need additional training to work in aerospace?

While a background in aerospace engineering can be helpful, chemical engineers do not necessarily need additional training to work in the aerospace industry. However, they may need to familiarize themselves with specific industry standards and regulations.

4. Are there opportunities for chemical engineers in the space exploration sector?

Yes, chemical engineers can play a crucial role in space exploration. They can work on developing new materials and technologies for space travel, designing life support systems, and optimizing processes for producing resources on other planets.

5. Can chemical engineers work for both commercial and government aerospace companies?

Yes, chemical engineers can work for both commercial and government aerospace companies. They can contribute their expertise to various projects, such as designing aircraft engines for commercial airlines or developing new rocket fuels for space agencies.