Novel Multiplication and Division by odd squares

This result can also be proven using mathematical induction.In summary, the conversation discusses the commutativity of a specific type of multiplication and asks for a simple proof of this general result. The result is that for real numbers n and x, if we define a new operation n\circx=nx+k(x-1), then (n\circx)\circy=n\circ(xy). This result can be easily proven using mathematical induction.
ramsey2879
let [tex]A_i[/tex] be an odd integer, [tex]s_i[/tex] be the square of [tex]a_i[/tex] and [tex]t_i[/tex] be the triangular number, [tex](s_i -1)/8[/tex]. Same for [tex]a_j , s_j, t_j, etc[/tex]. Define Multiplication of [tex]n X A_i , etc[/tex] to be n * s_i - t_j and division to be the reverse of this process. I found that

n X A_i X A_j X A_k = n X A_k X A_j X A_i = n X A_j X A_k X A_i etc.

for instance ((((4 * 9 - 1)*49 - 6)*25 -3) + 1) / 9 = (4*25-3)*49-6 = (4*49-6) * 25 - 3 = B

8*4-1 = 31 and 8*B - 1 = 31*25*49

Is there a simple way to prove this general result?

Physics news on Phys.org
n X A_i X A_j X A_k = n X A_k X A_j X A_i = n X A_j X A_k X A_i

I can barely make this out, since you didn't format it.
If I'm reading it right, this just follows from the commutativity of multiplication.

ramsey2879 said:
Is there a simple way to prove this general result?
Yes, removing all unnecessary notation, the result your are looking for is the following:

Let k be a real number. For real numbers n and x, define n[itex]\circ[/itex]x=nx+k(x-1). Then (n[itex]\circ[/itex]x)[itex]\circ[/itex]y=n[itex]\circ[/itex](xy).

The proof of this is trivial, and your result is the special case of k=-1/8, and where nXa=n[itex]\circ[/itex]a2.

1. What is Novel Multiplication and Division by odd squares?

Novel Multiplication and Division by odd squares is a mathematical concept that involves multiplying and dividing numbers by odd squares, which are numbers that are the square of an odd number (e.g. 9, 25, 49). This technique is often used in mental math and can be useful for solving complex equations quickly.

2. How does Novel Multiplication and Division by odd squares work?

The principle behind Novel Multiplication and Division by odd squares is based on the property of odd squares being one less than a multiple of 4. This allows for the use of shortcuts and patterns to quickly compute the results of multiplying and dividing numbers by odd squares.

3. What are the benefits of using Novel Multiplication and Division by odd squares?

Using Novel Multiplication and Division by odd squares can greatly improve mental math skills and speed up the process of solving complex equations. It can also be useful in everyday situations, such as calculating tips or dividing a bill among friends.

4. How can I practice and improve my skills in Novel Multiplication and Division by odd squares?

The best way to improve your skills in Novel Multiplication and Division by odd squares is through regular practice. You can find practice problems online or create your own using random numbers. It's also helpful to memorize the squares of odd numbers to speed up the process.

5. Are there any other applications of Novel Multiplication and Division by odd squares?

Yes, Novel Multiplication and Division by odd squares can also be applied in other areas of mathematics, such as algebra and geometry. It can also be used in computer programming and cryptography. Additionally, the concept of odd squares can be extended to other types of numbers, such as even squares or prime squares.