How Do You Calculate Slit Width Using Wavelength and Diffraction Angle?

• Thread starter airkapp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the slit width for monochromatic light of wavelength 689 nm falling on a single slit. The formula used is a = (3/2)λ / sin(theta), with theta being the angle between the central line and the first bright fringe on either side of the central maximum. The correct value for theta is 19 degrees.
airkapp
Monochromatic light of wavelength 689 nm falls on a slit. If the angle between the first bright fringes on either side of the central maximum is 38 °, what is the slit width?

a = λ / sin(theta)

a = 689 nm / sin 38 °

a = 1.12E-3mm

is this all there is to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
airkapp said:
Monochromatic light of wavelength 689 nm falls on a slit. If the angle between the first bright fringes on either side of the central maximum is 38 °, what is the slit width?

a = λ / sin(theta)

a = 689 nm / sin 38 °

a = 1.12E-3mm

is this all there is to it?

I believe that [tex]asin\theta=\lambda[/tex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the central line and the first bright fringe. So your theta here should be 19.

a = 689 nm / sin 19 °

EDIT: Is this a double slit or single-slit?
For double slit:
a = λ / sin(theta)

For single slit:
a = (3/2)λ / sin(theta)

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
I believe that [tex]asin\theta=\lambda[/tex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the central line and the first bright fringe. So your theta here should be 19.

a = 689 nm / sin 19 °

ahhh. thankyou :smile:

airkapp said:
ahhh. thankyou :smile:

Please note my edit to my previous post. Be careful whether it is a double or single slit.

learningphysics said:

a = 689 nm / sin 19 °

EDIT: Is this a double slit or single-slit?
For double slit:
a = λ / sin(theta)

For single slit:
a = (3/2)λ / sin(theta)

It is a single slit...

so then I do use the same theta of 19 degrees correct?

a = (3/2)λ / sin(19°)

airkapp said:
It is a single slit...

so then I do use the same theta of 19 degrees correct?

a = (3/2)λ / sin(19°)

Yes, that's right. theta is 19. It comes from asin(theta)=(m+1/2)λ

1. What is an easy wavelength problem?

An easy wavelength problem is a scientific exercise that involves calculating the wavelength of a wave or particle. This type of problem typically involves using the equation c = λν, where c represents the speed of light, λ represents the wavelength, and ν represents the frequency of the wave or particle.

2. How do I solve an easy wavelength problem?

To solve an easy wavelength problem, you will need to know the value of at least two of the three variables in the equation c = λν. Once you have the values, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the missing variable. It is also important to make sure that the units for each variable are consistent.

3. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter c, is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s). It is a constant value in the equation c = λν and is a fundamental physical constant in the field of physics.

4. What are some common units used for wavelength?

The most common units used for wavelength are meters (m) and nanometers (nm). Other units that may be used include centimeters (cm) and angstroms (Å).

5. Why is calculating wavelength important in science?

Calculating wavelength is important in science because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of waves and particles. It is also crucial in various fields such as optics, quantum mechanics, and astronomy, where the wavelength of light and other electromagnetic radiation plays a significant role in experiments and observations.