Exploring the Relationship Between Speed of Sound and Sound Change

In summary, when you tap a glass of water with a spoon, the sound you hear is due to the speed of sound in the glass and the liquid in the cup. If you change the speed of sound by adding something to the liquid, the frequency and wavelength of the sound waves will also change, resulting in a different pitch. The mode of vibration in the glass may also change depending on the density of the liquid. This change in speed of sound affects the frequency and amplitude of the sound waves, resulting in a different sound than before.
strid
If I have a glass of water and tap it with a spoon there will be a sound. If I change the speed of sounf by adding something the sound will change. What is the connection between change in speed of sound and the change in sound?

Does the frequence change then or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of sound isn't changing, the wavelength and frequency are.

The velocity of any wave is the product of the wavelength and frequency.

The changei nthe sound you hear is due to a change in the frequency of the wave you hear.

strid said:
If I have a glass of water and tap it with a spoon there will be a sound. If I change the speed of sounf by adding something the sound will change. What is the connection between change in speed of sound and the change in sound?

Does the frequence change then or what?

When you change the media, the wave that used to pass through that media is distorted. It depends on "something" you add. Also it depends on what you call "change in sound".

Once we analysed the noise produced by a spoon hitting the fresh & hot cup of coffee. (oh we drunk it so much back then :rofl:)
the reason of the dump noise was the presence of small particles of coffee/sugar/whatever all over in the cup and the air bubbles in the upper layers. (such things have a name: fine-dyspersated two-phased system!)
Well, as far as it could be done experimentally, we analized the evaluation of noise's spectrum versus time straight away after the coffee-creation, and even managed to derive certain formulas for induced wave frequencies, which showed a good coincidence with the observed ones!

So, basically it's difficult to predict what will change in your case, at it really depends on the properties of the matter you put in the glass.
Even if you poor the same water - there is no guarantee that you'll receive the same sound frequency after hitting the cup: a slight change in water level changes the resonant properties of the whole system (cup+water), so the major range of frequencies outside of the resonance peak will mainly fade out, and the ones you hear most - are resonant frequencies...

whozum said:
The speed of sound isn't changing, the wavelength and frequency are.

The velocity of any wave is the product of the wavelength and frequency.

The changei nthe sound you hear is due to a change in the frequency of the wave you hear.

What?
I created the scenario, so if I say that i change the sound of speed somehow, it IS changed.

If i pour in something, that neccesarilly doesn't create airbubbles, the density will chnage which will lead to a change in speed of sound.

My question was that how the chnage in speed of sound affects the pitch of the sound made when you tap the glass, if there is a change in pitch...

strid said:
i change the sound of speed somehow
wooow! how does the speed sound? :rofl:

strid said:
My question was that how the chnage in speed of sound affects the pitch of the sound made when you tap the glass, if there is a change in pitch...
google for resonance. i can add nothing more, unless you specify the proper geometry of the system. After that it IS possible even to simulate the process, if the analitycal calculation is impossible

The speed of the sound in the glass/cup material (solid) and the speed of sound in the liquid do not change. The mode of vibration in the glass/cup vessel will change however. The frequency (pitch) changes (should increase) with the increasing mass as the liquid fills the cup. Also, there is the sound in air, above the liquid in the cup - that does not change either.

Astronuc said:
Also, there is the sound in air, above the liquid in the cup - that does not change either.
oh it does. if i understood the problem correctly - the sound you speak about is coming from the body hitting cup. It comes to the observation point (above the cup) by two ways:
1) scattered wave in the air (does not change)
2) wave transmitter through the cup (does change)

so generally the resultant sound changes...

Astronuc said:
The speed of the sound in the glass/cup material (solid) and the speed of sound in the liquid do not change. The mode of vibration in the glass/cup vessel will change however. The frequency (pitch) changes (should increase) with the increasing mass as the liquid fills the cup. Also, there is the sound in air, above the liquid in the cup - that does not change either.

The speed of sound DOES change! i have said it three times.. when the density of the fluid is changed the speed of sound WILL change!

My question, once again, is that how the speed of sound affects the pitch of the sound...

If the speed changes, the frequency of the modes will all change. When you tap
it, you will excite different modes which will all add together and make a different
sound than the fluid with the other density.

The frequency, speed, and amplitudes (for a given "tap" of the cup) will all change.

thank you Antiphon... that was the sort of answer i was hoping for.. though I'm not sure of what you mean with "the modes"... but the frequency changes to chnage the pitch?

What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium, such as air or water. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

How does the speed of sound vary in different mediums?

The speed of sound varies depending on the properties of the medium it is traveling through. For example, sound travels faster in denser mediums like water or solids, compared to less dense mediums like air.

What factors can affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound can be affected by various factors, including temperature, humidity, and altitude. Generally, sound travels faster in warmer temperatures, higher humidity, and higher altitudes.

What is the average speed of sound in air?

The average speed of sound in air at sea level is about 343 meters per second (m/s) or 1125 feet per second (ft/s). However, this can vary depending on the conditions of the air, as mentioned earlier.

Why is the speed of sound important in everyday life?

The speed of sound is important in everyday life because it allows us to communicate and perceive our surroundings through sound. It is also crucial in various fields, such as aviation, music, and medicine.